Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Timing belt change 2 years 5 months ago #197484

• ips1's Avatar Topic Author
  • ips1
  • Apprentice MGer
  • Apprentice MGer
Hi, I am going to attempt to change the timing belt and water pump on my 1.8 TF. Whilst I am at it I will change the alternator belt as well. Never done it before so any tips would be welcome. Can't afford to take it to a garage to have it done, so needs must. My main question is this. I see kits advertised with different tensioner pulleys, both seem to say they are suitable for my car, so I am confused. Do I need this Or this .
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Timing belt change 2 years 5 months ago #197486

You will have an auto-tensioner if it's a 135, so you also need the 145 tooth, 26mm wide timing belt.

The manual tensioner and 143 tooth/23mm wide belt is for 160 vvc engines.

The manual tensioner was also used on all engines up to some time in 1999.
David
:shrug:
The following user(s) said Thank You: ips1

Timing belt change 2 years 5 months ago #197501

David, my 1996 MGF 120ps mpi engine has a manual tensioner despite being advised that it had an auto one and a 26mm belt .

Timing belt change 2 years 5 months ago #197504

• ips1
  • Apprentice MGer
  • Apprentice MGer
Now that's what worries me. I see both types advertised as fitting the TF 135. I am thinking the only way to know is to get the car up, covers off the engine and look. Didn't want to do that because it's my only transport at the moment and I can't walk far because of arthritis. Ah well it is what it is I suppose.

Timing belt change 2 years 5 months ago #197510

David, my 1996 MGF 120ps mpi engine has a manual tensioner despite being advised that it had an auto one and a 26mm belt .

That's what I would have expected, Bryan. (Good to see you back.)
All pre 99 cars had the manual tensioner.:yesnod:
David

Last edit: Post by David Aiketgate.

Timing belt change 2 years 5 months ago #197511

Now that's what worries me. I see both types advertised as fitting the TF 135. I am thinking the only way to know is to get the car up, covers off the engine and look. Didn't want to do that because it's my only transport at the moment and I can't walk far because of arthritis. Ah well it is what it is I suppose.

The 135 will definitely have the auto tensioner and 26mm belt.
David

Timing belt change 2 years 5 months ago #197514

If it is a 1996 MPI's it could easily be a manual tensioner and 23 mm belt! It is not cut and dry. My understanding is that it was all a bit of a mess in the early days regarding the non-VVC engines; the VVC always came with a manual tensioner and 26mm belt.

My advice is to do the proper research. Get the engine number (I am not sure the Vin number is good enough) and check with Rimmers for the correct belt. The other option which I would be tempted to do is to take off the cam belt cover et al and check with your own eyes if auto or manual (easy to see) and measuring tape to ascertain whether a 23mm or 26mm belt.

Last edit: Post by julianfoulger.

Timing belt change 2 years 5 months ago #197516

With the engine inspection cover off it takes about 10 minutes to take the top bolts out of the timing case and measure the belt width . :yesnod:

John .

Timing belt change 2 years 5 months ago #197517

YES, it was a bit of a mess i know an owner of a Mk2 'F' that has a Mk1 engine with a distributor and not coil packs.
and one of the mobile mechanics advised me that one customers engine was a 1.6 engine instead of a 1.8, build date was years before the 1.6 engined MGF

Timing belt change 2 years 5 months ago #197518

Thank you David, I have always retained my membership of the 'T Bar Forum and i have been looking in from time to time but not posted or answered questions, its good to be back.

I now have a copy of the MGF& TF database from Adrian Clifford which is far better than factory records and is correct and has the correct number of cars built, I did a lot of work with him in obtaining the Body numbers from owners, these were applied to the body by Mayflower/Stadco (the manufacturer) but were never recorded by MG rover or allocated to VIN's, these numbers are in the boot from VIN 4500, before this they were on a plate fixed to the floor under the passenger seat ( Seat and carpet needs to come out to see this) SO I can tell any owner the history of their car from the last six digits of the VIN - I have found this searching very interesting and have discovered some interesting cars.

I found a F/TF named 'Team Spirit' which was a TF built as an F ( with hydragas suspension) this car was rescued by a powertrain engineer from the crusher and he raced it with MGR approval as TEAM SPIRIT until MGR went bust, he bought it from the receivers. I was instrumental in getting this car as a display car at MGF20 at Gaydon.

I tried to get Adrian Clifford ( former registrar at the MGF REGISTER) to join the 'T' Bar forum, but he refused due to a substantial falling out with Jan Austin-Taylor!!!!

I will continue with my interference

Kind regards

Bryan
The following user(s) said Thank You: David Aiketgate, mowog73, sworkscooper, Keymaster

Timing belt change 2 years 5 months ago #197523

• ips1
  • Apprentice MGer
  • Apprentice MGer
Thanks to all, I will do a visual inspection as advised as soon as I can.

Timing belt change 2 years 4 months ago #197711

.....I tried to get Adrian Clifford ( former registrar at the MGF REGISTER) to join the 'T' Bar forum, but he refused due to a substantial falling out with Jan Austin-Taylor!!!!....

But she was banished from this parish many years ago, Adrian is more than welcome to join, please.

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.132 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT