Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Anti Roll Bar Removal behind seats 2 years 5 months ago #197400

Hi,

I recently bought an MGF that has had a new hood fitted including a new glass back screen. I need to remove the Anti Roll Bar before I put the hood down as there isn't enough room for the rear screen with that in place.

The person who fitted the hood, said that it was easy to do and needs to be removed before putting roof down otherwise glass will break, but I just can't see how to do it?!

Any advise would be super helpful. Thank you in advance.

Cathy

Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by Bertl. Reason: pics added

Anti Roll Bar Removal behind seats 2 years 5 months ago #197401

Hi Cathy and :welcome: to the forum .
I have a TF and as it doesn't have roll hoops I'm afraid I can't advise you but, there are loads of helpful and knowledgeable folk on the forum who will be along soon to help you .
John .

Last edit: Post by sworkscooper.

Anti Roll Bar Removal behind seats 2 years 5 months ago #197402

Hi John,

Aww, thank you! I'm glad to have found this group! :woohoo: :woohoo:
The following user(s) said Thank You: sworkscooper

Anti Roll Bar Removal behind seats 2 years 5 months ago #197407

Hi and welcome to the forum.

I can't see the roof folding down with them in there.

I suspect you will have to remove the T bar (the bit with the speakers) to access the bolts to remove those hoops.

Have a look in the how to guides on T bar removal.

James

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

Anti Roll Bar Removal behind seats 2 years 5 months ago #197411

Hi Cathy
Just to clarify, an anti roll bar is actually part of the suspension beneath the car, usually one on the front and one on the back. What you have here are roll hoops, more for decoration than practicality.

Mike

Anti Roll Bar Removal behind seats 2 years 5 months ago #197412

A tad picky ! :yesnod:

Anti Roll Bar Removal behind seats 2 years 5 months ago #197415

I suspect these are X-part rollover hoops - Instructions below.

http://mgf.ultimatemg.com/group2/DIY/hoops/index.htm

To get to the engine, the hoops will need to be dismantled.

If your screen was plastic, you could get the roof down without dismantling. However, have you tried unzipping the glass screen first and tucking it down before lowering the roof?

Last edit: Post by julianfoulger.

Anti Roll Bar Removal behind seats 2 years 5 months ago #197418

:welcome2:
David
:shrug:

Anti Roll Bar Removal behind seats 2 years 5 months ago #197419

Hi again Cathy .
There is a 'How to ' section on the forum which is very helpful but it depends very much on the individual when it comes to tackling jobs of this sort . As someone has suggested , the rear screen should have a zip section that will allow that part of the screen to fold / flop down into the space behind but I'm not sure this will help . The T bar ( the section behind the seat tops ) looks as if it needs removing to gain access to the roll hoop fixing and although not difficult to do for those of us familiar with how it fastens , I think you would have to very plucky to have a go yourself . Without giving your address , where in the UK are you based ? There might be someone on this forum who may offer to help you out .

John

Last edit: Post by sworkscooper. Reason: Missed a bit

Anti Roll Bar Removal behind seats 2 years 5 months ago #197427

The hoops you have are the MG Rover Mk.1 hoops which lean forward. Definitely not compatible with a glass rear screen, however if you can source a set of Mk.2 hoops which attach further forward and sit straight up, then you can use these with a glass rear window. They are really hard to find though. Only issue with Mk. 2 hoops is you after loose the rear speakers to fit them as the space behind the T-bar is used by the hoops main rail. On the plus side, the hoops are functional and are designed to add extra protection in the event of rolling the car. They fix to the seatbelt anchor points.
I have the Mk.2 type fitted and think they look great.

Sundance

Anti Roll Bar Removal behind seats 2 years 5 months ago #197445

You will need to remove the hood if you want to take off the roll bar and the mounts.
This how to should be what you want http://mgf.ultimatemg.com/group2/DIY/hoops/index.htm
You'll probably need a new engine cover carpet too as the old one will have been cut up to fit the hoops.

Anti Roll Bar Removal behind seats 2 years 5 months ago #197450

Hi Cathy, the hoops you are showing look like X Power hoops these are bolted to a steel rail that is bolted to the seatbelt anchorage points at each end. if you are proposing doing this yourself you need to unclip the catches at the rear of the roof so you can lift up the rear of the roof a 'bungee strap hooked over the front of the hood will hold it in place. then unbolt the hoops and the bar. Be careful when undoing the five clips that hold the rear of the roof in place the spring clips can bite !! sore fingers .
With the Hoops out of the way the glass rear window will fold and sit on the parcel shelf behind the T Bar allowing the roof to open properly . Good luck

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.166 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT