Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Ignition Barrel change 2 years 5 months ago #197231

• ips1's Avatar Topic Author
  • ips1
  • Apprentice MGer
  • Apprentice MGer
As I mentioned in an earlier post, every lock on my car had a different key (pain in the backside). Anyway I have a second car, runs good but rotten arches and sills. But lots of bits that are a little better than on my main TF, including all locks that operate from one key. I have changed the boot and petrol cap, next on the list is the ignition. Question is can I just swap out the barrel or do I need to remove the entire ignition unit?

Doors lock should be a little easier as I intend to swap the doors complete as mine have a number of car park dinks and the edge of both doors have seen to many walls, the other car are quite a bit better. But I am guessing that the cable connectors for Mirrors and windows are in the door, so the cards will have to come off. Whilst I am doing that, are there any particular areas that would benefit from cleaning and greasing?

Just found a how to, door removal by Ben. That answered all my question regarding the doors.

I know I am asking a lot of idiot questions but I am new to MG TF, so want to get it right.

Cheers.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by ips1.

Ignition Barrel change 2 years 5 months ago #197233

Don't worry, the only stupid question was the one you don't ask.

The TF is a simple beast, you can swap the ignition barrel on its own, only the fob is matched to the alarm ECU.

The door wiring goes all the way to the components within the door, not a brilliant solution I am afriad.

I would grease the components for the windows.

James

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

Ignition Barrel change 2 years 5 months ago #197234

• ips1's Avatar Topic Author
  • ips1
  • Apprentice MGer
  • Apprentice MGer
Thank you James. But just to be clear:

I can just remove this bit:

I don't need to change the whole thing:

And I guess the barrel is held in place by a pin or grub screw.

Ian
Attachments:

Ignition Barrel change 2 years 5 months ago #197237

Sorry Ian, I'm not sure how to dismantle the ignition on the TF but yes, if you can swap just the barrel that would work.

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ips1

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.092 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT