Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Sticking throttle 2 years 6 months ago #197208

My throttle becomes sticky after a period at higher speed ( an hour or so at around 75mph), more noticeable in the summer during hot weather . I assume this is the throttle butterfly bearings getting tight when it gets hot. Being a late 2004 TF 116 I assume it will have a plastic 48mm throttle. I see Rimmer have alloy 52mm throttle bodies for £36 , would these fit OK, and would I have to get the car returned or adjusted?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Sticking throttle 2 years 6 months ago #197211

You can fit the 52mm throttle body, fit it and do a throttle position sensor reset - ignition on, firmly and fully depress the gas peddle 5 times in 30 seconds, wait 30 seconds and restart the engine.

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

Sticking throttle 2 years 6 months ago #197213

Yeah bin the 48mm plastic shit and go for the 52mm alloy one, as fitting is concerned just bolt it on and do as Talking Cars says.........Tooeasy!
As an extra benefit, you should get a crisper throttle response!
"Keep calm, relax, focus on the problem & PULL THE BLOODY TRIGGER"

Sticking throttle 2 years 6 months ago #197226

Something else worth checking, do you have the proper clip that holds the air box hose onto the throttle body. If not and its a jubilee clip, if its over tightened, it can distort the intake causing the butterfly to stick.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gavin207

Sticking throttle 2 years 6 months ago #197232

So, checked this evening and my throttle body is actually alloy, so is it likely to be repairable to stop it sticking when it gets hot?

Sticking throttle 2 years 6 months ago #197238

You need to disconnect the cable from the throttle body. You'll probably find it's the cable sticking.
It's almost unheard of for an alloy throttle body to stick.
David
:shrug:

Sticking throttle 2 years 6 months ago #197245

As David has suggested it could be the cable . I thought this was the fault with my TF and I even took advantage of a new cable that was , at the beginning of the year on offer via a well known parts supplier. When I actually came to do the job it turned out that the pedal was the cause . The pedal assembly has two small plastic bushes that were stuck to the pivot shaft and were turning in the bracket rather than the other way round . After stripping it down and cleaning the pedal , applying copious amounts of grease it's now a totally different car to drive when trying to pull away or in crawling traffic . Don't make my mistake of buying parts you don't actually need !

John.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gavin207, Andy661

Sticking throttle 2 years 6 months ago #197247

Thanks John, I checked the cable this evening and appears smooth, but the pedal seemed a bit stiff, so I'll strip it tomorrow.

I've also developed a stutter when decelerating when the engine is warm which I don't think is related and is possibly a dirty IACV ( the ticking from what I understand is the IACV when I turn the ignition on is going on longer than usual I think) I'm going to clean that too.
The following user(s) said Thank You: sworkscooper

Last edit: Post by Gavin207.

Sticking throttle 2 years 6 months ago #197250

I'm with John I had the same problem with my TF.

So I installed a new cable as I had the same issue as you do with the engine idling erratically. Made no difference.

Turned out is was the peddle sticking.
The following user(s) said Thank You: sworkscooper, Gavin207

Sticking throttle 2 years 6 months ago #197269

I have a 52mm alloy throttle body that was sticking. It turned out to be gunge on the inside stopping the flap from opperating correctly. After a good clean it was back to normal function.

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.140 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT