Topic

MGTF Damper Units 2 years 5 months ago #197151

• g4wam's Avatar Topic Author
  • g4wam
  • Time served MGer
  • Time served MGer
Bob,
thanks for your reply,
I did compress the spring and tighten its nut to the required amount.
I think that maybe I need to compress the top nut and washer to take up the extra depth of the new top bushes .
Will try this today-weather permitting

Mike

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by g4wam.

MGTF Damper Units 2 years 5 months ago #197174

I did find when rebuilding my rear shocks that the rubber buffers I bought on line had a pronounced taper which did make them difficult to fit. I bought a second set from rimmers and these fitted a treat and allowed me to fit the top Nut.

MGTF Damper Units 2 years 5 months ago #197192

• g4wam's Avatar Topic Author
  • g4wam
  • Time served MGer
  • Time served MGer
Finally to put this one too bed as it were, my difficulty in getting the damper top nut and washer to tighten were as follows.
1. the spring retainer nut needs to be torqued down on the spacer so as to get approx 25mm of free thread above the spacer.
2.the lower or first rubber bush needs to be inverted so that its conical shaped side mates with the inside of the turret which is similarly shaped.
3.The upper rubber bush needs to be fitted so that the flat shaped part of the bush is uppermost to mate with the top washer which is fitted in a convex fashion ,that is curved upwards -this always looks wrong but is correct.

Most pictures of MGTF shock absorber sets show the upper bush the wrong way round which is why there is not enough thread to begin tightening up.

regrds

Mike

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.090 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT