Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

MG TF (2004 130) Alarm Fob 2 years 6 months ago #197075

I got 2 fobs with my car when I bought it in April, with one said not to be working. Just got round to putting a new battery in it, but no joy. Do they lose their encryption when powered down for long periods? Any other suggestions for bringing it back to life? The PCB looks clean and intact.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

MG TF (2004 130) Alarm Fob 2 years 6 months ago #197082

Hi there .
Okay , so there are two types of system , one is lucas ( square fob ) and Pectron ( oval fobs ) so it depends on which one you have .
I had the very same issue with my TF with a Pectron bcu and fobs . I believe, although some may disagree that the system works on a rolling code and that due to poor range of the transmitter, when attempting to disarm the system by repeated pressing of the unlock button , this rolls the code passed a point where the system can cope . Of course it may be that the fob buttons are faulty and these I think can be purchased from Flea Bay. If you contact Paul Brown ( Technozen ) who is a wizard with everything to do with both systems ( Lucas and Pectron ) he will sort the problem but you will have to send him the fobs and the bcu .

John

Last edit: Post by sworkscooper. Reason: Missed a bit

MG TF (2004 130) Alarm Fob 2 years 6 months ago #197103

Thanks John, It is a Pectron. BCU?
The following user(s) said Thank You: sworkscooper

MG TF (2004 130) Alarm Fob 2 years 6 months ago #197104

Good morning Neil.
BCU= Body Control Unit . The bcu is held in place with a couple of torqx + screws that were ferociously tight on my TF . That type of torqx bit are not very common . Do you live in Leeds ? If so you can borrow mine as I'm in Pudsey .
John

MG TF (2004 130) Alarm Fob 2 years 6 months ago #197106

Thanks John, where is the Control Unit located? I'll be SORNing my car at the end of October or November, so it's absence wouldn't be a problem. Thanks for the kind offer though.

MG TF (2004 130) Alarm Fob 2 years 6 months ago #197107

You access the bcu by removing the footwell light panels on either side of the dash . The unit is tucked away below the heater controls . Once you locate the torqx bolts and remove them it will drop down enough for you to remove the multi plugs ( about four ) and that's it really .
Paul Brown ( Technozen ) is based in Brighton I believe and if you give him a call he will give you any advice about the fault before you send the bcu and fobs off to him to sort . He sorted my fob issue out and while he had the bcu I had him replace the troublesome relays as well . Never had a minutes problem with the car since .
John .
The following user(s) said Thank You: neilpinleeds

MG TF (2004 130) Alarm Fob 2 years 6 months ago #197188

I may be a bit late with this information, but if you need one of your Pektron fobs re-programmed then you will need the barcode that came with the fob otherwise you will have to purchase a new Fob ( with barcode). Pauls website is technozen-electronics.co.uk and he is a wizard. the Torx bit that you need to remove the BCU is a security type and Paul sells them for about £3.50 ish there should only be one fixing securing the BCU. - Good luck
The following user(s) said Thank You: David Aiketgate

MG TF (2004 130) Alarm Fob 2 years 6 months ago #197191

Yes Paul is indeed a wizard with all things Pectron. When I sent my bcu and fobs to him I didn't have the barcode and I'm sure not many owners of cars this age will have access to them . He still managed to fix the duff fob and it has been fine since .
John .
The following user(s) said Thank You: bryan young

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.119 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT