• Page:

Topic

Newbie 2 years 7 months ago #196956

• ips1's Avatar Topic Author
  • ips1
  • Apprentice MGer
  • Apprentice MGer
Hello All,

New to the Forum. Looking to buy my first MG soon. Looking at the first in a day or two, a MG TF 1800 2003. The owner tell me its in great condition and been well looked after (but then he would I guess) . The car is quite high mileage 95000. That doesn't necessarily scare me, so long as he can show me a decent service record. I would also have the cam belt, water pump and head gasket changed just to satisfy myself.

Are there other problem areas I should be looking closely at?

Cheers all. Oh, if there is any owners around King's Lynn that would like to let me look at a well sorted car, please let me know.

Ian

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Newbie 2 years 7 months ago #196959

Hi and welcome to the forum

There is a buyers guide in the how to guides if that helps.

Let us know how you get on.

James

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ips1

Newbie 2 years 7 months ago #196962

• ips1
  • Apprentice MGer
  • Apprentice MGer
OK found that buying thread. Sadly the link does not work for me. Just get a message saying that page not found.

Newbie 2 years 7 months ago #196963

Last edit: Post by David Aiketgate.

Newbie 2 years 7 months ago #196981

Hi
The TF is very fussy about which tyres you use, there's plenty of info on here and elsewhere but basically there are only a couple of tyre types that are compatible with the car. I personally have always gone with Toyo's without any problems and that all round.
Another oddity is the fact that the fronts are in fact narrower than the rear this being by design.

Enjoy your TF.

Newbie 2 years 7 months ago #196983

Hi Ian,
Have a word with Anthony Tony, he's not a million miles away at Sechey , you're find him on facebook. He has a very nice show car and a rapid TF.

Newbie 2 years 7 months ago #196985

• ips1
  • Apprentice MGer
  • Apprentice MGer
I will do that, thank you Steve.

Newbie 2 years 7 months ago #196992

Mine's not what you would call well sorted and it's currently up in the air having the exhaust repaired so if you want to know what the layout is like underneath your welcome to have a look, I'm only 15 miles from Lynn at Holbeach.

Newbie 2 years 7 months ago #196993

• ips1
  • Apprentice MGer
  • Apprentice MGer
Thanks for the offer Deepfat. I have got one now same colour as yours, so I am all over it. Very pleased so far, few age related marks but most will machine polish out. One or 2 will need a little paint, when I sort the code and a supplier. Glad to say I am not finding much that needs repair or replacement but it's early days yet LOL.

Newbie 2 years 7 months ago #196994

Well done mate I hope you really enjoy it.
One thing I will mention in your first post you talked of having the head gasket down, look on the various forums and the general advice seems to be leave well alone with the head, the cam belt/water pump yes it's a service item.
We are close enough to probably pass each other at some point make sure you bloody wave:welcome:

Newbie 2 years 7 months ago #196995

• ips1
  • Apprentice MGer
  • Apprentice MGer
Yes, I have gathered that information about the head gasket. Are you going to join any local MG owners clubs? I'm not big on clubs but at a car show today, I chatted with a couple of members of the King's Lynn club. Seems like a nice bunch and very helpful. Hope to see you around mate, maybe have a coffee.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.153 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT