Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Switched / Unswitched Live Feed 2 years 7 months ago #196551

Hi All. We all have added electrical parts to our cars, Driving lights, Spotlights, Garmin etc. I have, and it appears also the previous owner. However, looking under the centre dash the maze of unknown wires, spliced, and unknow origin, is a little concerting. So decided to remove and start again. As we all need a switched or unswitched (I prefer switched) supply this is where I will start. I was thinking about fitting a common live/not live. junction box/connector block  with perhaps 6 connectors you could tap from. So, would you:

1 Use a terminal block (household wiring type) or fancy junction box?
2. Where would you take the live feed from? Where would you take the non-live feed from? And what AMP rated cable would you use?
3. Would you fuse to the teminal block, again what AMP fuse.
4. Where would you suggest this block/tetrminal is located?

Naturally each connection from the block/terminal would be individually fused.

Finally, when connecting any accessory to the block/terminal what AMP wiring would you use i.e. 8, 10 15 AMP auto cabeling?

As you can see from my questions I am not an electrical expert, but wish to standardize my wiring for safety and any future owner.

Found this online. Look OK for my application.

Rob

Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by Bertl. Reason: pic added

Switched / Unswitched Live Feed 2 years 7 months ago #196562

1 Use a terminal block (household wiring type) or fancy junction box?
2. Where would you take the live feed from? Where would you take the non-live feed from? And what AMP rated cable would you use?
3. Would you fuse to the teminal block, again what AMP fuse.
4. Where would you suggest this block/tetrminal is located?

Finally, when connecting any accessory to the block/terminal what AMP wiring would you use i.e. 8, 10 15 AMP auto cabeling.

1) Don't use choc blocks for automotive situations, use crimped or soldered connections.
2) Depends on the application
3) Depends on the application
4) Depends on the application

Remember that getting automotive wiring wrong could lead to a fire.

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Fisher

Switched / Unswitched Live Feed 2 years 7 months ago #196568

Invalid or non-existent item ID.After years of adding stuff, I went back to basics. Stripped all the wiring out and started again.

1. I bought this 10 Way Standard Blade LED Fuse Box Holder -
2. The live was taken from the switched live connector from the driver's fuse box (it is one of the three connectors in-line - normally used to wire in the fog lights, one of the others is perm live and also used the fog light circuit). I have added an in-line fuse (5 amps from memory) although not necessary as all outputs fused if you use the fuse box holder that I have.
3. Fuse holder small enough (without the plastic lid fitted which is not necessary) to fit on the inner lid of the driver's panel hiding the fuses under the steering wheel.

Last edit: Post by David Aiketgate.

Switched / Unswitched Live Feed 2 years 7 months ago #196573

Thanks Julian. I am doing exactly as you did, stripping out the wiring and starting again. I have bought a six-way blade fuse box, similar to the link you suppied.

Excellent idea to mount it on the inner lid of the drivers panel. That is the way I will go.

Thanks again exactly what I was looking for.

Rob

Switched / Unswitched Live Feed 2 years 7 months ago #196574

I too have a small 6 blade box in the internal fuse box area for the feeds for the heated seats and the cruise control.
I used a EPAS fuse holder mounted on the inner wing by the normal EPAS fuse but it's for the electric vacuum pump for the brake servo.

Switched / Unswitched Live Feed 2 years 7 months ago #196577

Hi James

Besides the drivers panel as Julian suggested, I am also looking at the inner wing by the main fuses.
As you did, I may also be looking to install two fuse holders. Cannot make a firm decision untill I receive the fuse holders, as see sizes etc, and sort out the current spaghetti mess of wires

Thanks for your input

Switched / Unswitched Live Feed 2 years 7 months ago #196582

You are welcome.

I also stuck a couple of fused relays next to the under bonnet fuse box for the heated windscreen.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.913 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT