Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Engine mount bolt 2 years 9 months ago #196258

Hi,

Benn doing the cambelt and was all going fine until I went to remove the two top engine mounting bolts.
I have removed one, other is siezed.

Bolts have been sprayed with Plusgas every day for a week.  I have tried 450nm impact gun and a long breaker bar and pipe.  Using a breaker bar I sheared off a 1/2 long extension bar, left tip in the socket!!!!!!!
Bolt head is still ok.

The bolt I have gotten out was covered in white corrosion.  NO anti-seize.  Before I got the car the last cambelt change was by a garage four years ago.  They clearly don't like using it, must be a **** garage.

Last thing I can think of is heat via a blowtorch, would that be ok on this as the mount is aluminum I think?

Cheers,

Iain.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Airportable

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Engine mount bolt 2 years 9 months ago #196259

Heat is fine, you will have a hard job melting the aluminium with a blow torch!

Also use a quality 6 point socket, not cheap 12 point. Much less chance of rounding the bolt off.

Doesnt sound like quality extension bar if it sheared though!

Make sure thoroughly clean around bolt.

They are difficult to get at and remove.

Engine mount bolt 2 years 9 months ago #196268

Invalid or non-existent item ID.I tried to undo mine recently, just to make sure they will crack off when the belt is next due to be done, but my long breaker bar and extension will not budge them, even with my big Dewalt impact gun they will not undo, probably due to lost energy in the bar and swivel adaptor.
I saw a youtube vid by MG Lee who has done a lot of refurbing on his TF and had the same problem. He got round the issue by buying a set of Lexivon impact swivel adaptors and using a proper impact rated socket on his impact gun. I have purchased a set and will try them out next time I have the engine cover off.
This is the ebay link to the impact rated swivel adaptors.   
These should allow more energy from the rattle gun onto the bolt and help to shock it loose.

Here is a link to the impact sockets, I think the engine mount bolts are 18mm.      
Sealey AK5613M Impact Socket Set Metric 13pc 1/2 Drive 10 - 24mm With Case
Buy It Now

Good luck

Sundance

Engine mount bolt 2 years 9 months ago #196274

Hi,

Thanks for replies :)

Halfords gave me a new 1/2 inch extension without asking any questions.

Tools are not the best but not crap either.  Got a 200 piece Halfords Advanced set when on sale.
It has the newer style impact ball joints in it.  These sets are better than they used to be, all six fltas and metric and wobble bar extensions etc.
I have proper impact sockets as well.

Tried heating with a blow torch about six times now, no luck.  I am hoping that repeated heat cycles will crack the corrosion eventually.  If not the it is either drill out or remove the mount from the engine and arm support thing it seemsd.

Drilling out looks to be tricky because of angle of bolt and room.  Big bolt as well.

I Just know if i try to remove the mount the other bolts will be siezed.

I'll keep at it :)

There is a garage down the road I might ask them, pay them for an hours labour to have a go.

P.S.

Swearing at the bolt does not work no matter how profane.

Iain.
Attachments:

Engine mount bolt 2 years 9 months ago #196275

450Nm Impact gun might not be enough, TBF. I have a cheap 350nM mains-powered impact wrench I bought from Lidl and it wouldn't undo the wheel nuts on my van. They undid fairly easily with the vehicle's emergency wheel wrench. I'm sure that a garage workshop will have a more powerful wrench at its disposal.

Engine mount bolt 2 years 9 months ago #196303

I disagree, to work on cars, one has to have a fulsome arsenal of obscenities, profanities, vulgarities, oaths, curses, threats and insults.
There have been scientific studies that have indicated, there are many benefits to a well chosen and timed swear.
These include:
  • Peak Strength. An increase in peak strength (useful when you're swinging on that breaker bar)
    • Pain relief. Swearing activates the so-called ‘fight or flight’ response, leading to a surge of adrenaline and a subsequent pain relieving effect on our immune system. (handy when that bloody breaker bar slips and you skin your knuckles)
      • Non-violent Outlet. Swearing enables us to get back at bad people or situations without having to resort to traditional violence, or something more menacing or harmful. It can be considered an act of sublimation, whereby we channel our anger by swearing instead, in what is seen as a ‘healthier’ outlet to help release our negative emotions. (Though the psychological  benefits of taking to a stubborn and uncooperative inanimate object with a 2kg mash hammer are not to be under estimated!)
        • Harmless & Humorous Coping Mechanism. This coping mechanism, although far from a great one, can serve to increase our sense of self esteem, when it seems deflated, threatened or attacked. This in turn helps to build our inner resilience, and confidence in the midst of perceived tension and stress. (your inner self believes it will overcome that bastard bolt)
          • Assertion of Power/Control. Swearing can give us a greater sense of power and control over a bad or negative situation. By swearing we show that we have the power to control a situation, and not have the situation control us. This usually happens, ironically, when things are spinning out of control for us, and when things are not necessarily going our way. A person need not be the actual trigger for swearing to occur, but a particular unpleasant situation can be the trigger. (You are the master of the machine, it is not the master of you. and it better not not forget it......see previous reference to 2kg mash hammer)
            • Social Bonding. Swearing can serve to show that we are not a fragmented member of a society. That’s why, cursing/swearing among friends can make you feel slightly better, when its coupled with a sense of validation from others. If done correctly, and under the right circumstances and with the right people, or group, it can also indicate that we are open, trustworthy, and fun to be around, making us appear more genuinely likable, and ‘real’ to others. (this will be helpful in those times when you have a glamorous assistant helping you work on the car)
              • Psychological & Physical Health. The best health benefits of swearing include increased circulation, elevated endorphin, and serotonin levels, and an overall sense of calm, control, and well-being. All of these benefits can seem intriguing if it is done in the right way. (Bugger all that healthy eating, exercise and all that ballocks... have a bloody good swear instead, you'll feel much better for it and get to drink and eat whatever you like and indulge in various bad habits whilst still looking after your health....win-win!)
                • Outlet for Self Expression & Creativity. Swearing can at times spark our inner creativity. Some individuals who naturally possess more of a creative flair find that they can come up with very creative words in the process of swearing, or that they muster up the energy to complete a project that has been neglected for some time. (Not only will you be able to come up with alternative strategies to undo that prick of a bolt, you may find the energy and motivation to crack on with that stalled restoration project that is cluttering up the garage)

"Keep calm, relax, focus on the problem & PULL THE BLOODY TRIGGER"

Last edit: Post by Cobber. Reason: The forum software quote feature is a somewhat user-unfreindly pain in the arse. no matter how much I edit it....it does what it likes anyway!

Engine mount bolt 2 years 9 months ago #196313

Try tightening the bolt!
It works.
Sometimes.

Halfords pro and Halfords advanced tools are made by companies like snap on and tang to the same high standards they use for their own products.

I beg to differ James  ( again )  , there is no way that Halfrauds tools are made by a company like Snap on . There is a country mile of difference in price and quality.  No one who is a professional technician would use or trust Halfrauds tools ......in my opinion!     

Last edit: Post by talkingcars. Reason: To tidy up quote.

Engine mount bolt 2 years 9 months ago #196315

Still at it :)

Maybe it needs longer than 30 second bursts with the blowtorch, don't want to melt the rubber mounts near it though.

Swearing is grown up, hard and clever.  Luckly I don't have any neighbours but I think I have scared off all the local fauna.

Yes, MGLee's videos on Youtube are great.  Worth watching if you have a MGF/T

Engine mount bolt 2 years 9 months ago #196333

I also had a great deal of difficulty in undoing these god-forsaken bolts. The slight angle and the depth to try and get a good pull on the bolts all add to their charm. I undid mine by using an impact screwdriver and impact 6 point socket. I found that I could give it a mighty smack with a lump hammer which seemed to wake the bolts up and undo. I had previously used a hefty electric impact gun which did absolutely nothing, I'm guessing that the extension and cranked angle reduces some of the wack from it.
My trusty impact screwdriver has been useful over the years where space might be limited and also is a great stress reliever as you belt the living daylights out of it.

Trev.

Engine mount bolt 2 years 9 months ago #196337

I beg to differ James  ( again )  , there is no way that Halfrauds tools are made by a company like Snap on . There is a country mile of difference in price and quality.  No one who is a professional technician would use or trust Halfrauds tools ......in my opinion!     

Another vote for Halfords Pro and Advanced tools.
Excellent quality.

Certainly on par with Teng, Britool expert, Facom, and other mid range tools.

Prefare my Stahlwille tools, but only when the company is paying!

Wouldnt touch the basic halfords range though.

Why do you refer to Halfords as Halfrauds? What is the Fraud you imply they are comitting?

Good shop for the essentials, especially when you need things at short notice.
Got me out of trouble a few times while working on my cars on a Sunday!

The following user(s) said Thank You: Fisher

Engine mount bolt 2 years 9 months ago #196341

Not refering to any fraud in particular, re Halfords . I refer to Ebay as Fleabay but I don't suppose they sell fleas ! If you need to remove bolts that are just about welded in , I would never expect Halfords tools to get me out of the mire . You get what you pay for these days and if you are happy with cheaper tools , then fine . In my working life in the motor trade I never trusted inferior equipment and won't in future.

Engine mount bolt 2 years 9 months ago #196344

After 40 yrs in engineering, I have a selection of good quality tools that cost me an arm and a leg at the time. However, what I have found these days is a range of good value tools which if your just a DIYer and not earning your living from have been more than acceptable. As with so many things you can become blind to the tool market if you stick rigidly to one brand. Whilst there are some tools made from cheese and putty most can tell those from the range of better quality on sale. but with all things, it is a matter of choice some from available cash and some from preference.

• Page:
Time to create page: 2.184 seconds