Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

LE500 instrument lights 2 years 9 months ago #196235

I have owned a MG TF 85th anniversary car for a couple of years now, but due to covid have done quite a few mods, cruise control etc. but not much driving. My question is when the ignition is turned on should the instrument panel light up completely? There appears to be a light behind the centre section of the panel showing temperature etc. and all the warning lights come on and go out as they should do when the car is started but should the speedo and tachometer be lit all the time with the ignition on? The only way I can get the speedo and tachometer to light up is to turn the side/main lights on. Is this as it should be or should the whole instrument panel be lit in normal running?

Rod

Please Log in to join the conversation.

LE500 instrument lights 2 years 9 months ago #196237

I don't know for sure but it is certainly normal in most vehicles for the instrument lights to come on with the vehicle lights.  I'm pretty sure my TF is no exception because at night the gauges change colour completely (from silver to black) with the instrument lights.

I would be very interested to hear about how you installed cruise control.  That is one extra I would really appreciate on my TF, particularly for longer journeys.

LE500 instrument lights 2 years 9 months ago #196243

Hi mgtf85,

Instrument lights only come on when side lights are switched on and brightness adjusted with rotary dial by mirror switch.   Centre temp gauge comes on with ignition.

Also if you press trip reset button with ignition off the centre temp gauge / trip meter lights up to check fuel/milage without key.

Cheers  Mark
The following user(s) said Thank You: mgtf85

Last edit: Post by markvrs.

LE500 instrument lights 2 years 9 months ago #196245

Thanks very much Mark, just what I needed, so my instruments are working properly.

Seems strange as most modern cars (at least mine) all the instruments come on with the ignition. I find that I have to have the side lights on the TF to read the speedo and tachometer. Mind you I have also installed a heads up display which makes the speed easy to read as it is projected in front of you. 

Bruce with regard to the cruise control I installed an Audiovox type which I had on my Nissan truck when I lived in the USA. There is a how to guide done by CJJ I think, if you search for it. However I don't believe this Audiovox make of cruise control is available any more so you will have to buy a different type, but the how to guide as regards the mechanical hook up the the throttle quadrant etc. would still be relevant I think.
Regards,
Rod
The following user(s) said Thank You: BruceTF135

LE500 instrument lights 2 years 9 months ago #196246

https://www.the-t-bar.com/forum/22-cjj-s-guides/90377-how-to-fit-cruise-control
David
:shrug:

LE500 instrument lights 2 years 9 months ago #196300

The MGF design goes back to the mid '90s so not that modern,

I based my cruise control install on CJJ's guide.

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.120 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT