Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Undetectable rattle at the front offside 2 years 10 months ago #196124

Yesterday I removed the O/S front wheel and arch liner to inspect the top link. Pleased to find:
1 all looks clean and link looks newish.  
2 grease evident on nipple and at front end.
3 no movement detected, but difficult to apply force as there is no convenient fulcrum to lever against.
I also learned what many others mean about a mud trap at rear of liner.  I think I have a solution involving sticky back transparent plastic, as used for covering books. I will try this when back at home. Visiting father in law at present.

Regards to all and special thanks to those who explained how to remove liner without damage.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Undetectable rattle at the front offside 2 years 10 months ago #196140

You say you have the anti roll bar bushes and they look smaller if they are the correct ones (check part no.) I would say the current ones have failed and swelled. They are normally under tension when stationary and seem solid but will load and unload when driving and cause a rattle or knock. Not really a difficult/expensive job so I would tick that box first and you have the parts already.
Just a thought but if the new bushes are poly they may look smaller compared to original rubber but I would still do them, their not doing much good in the drawer!

Undetectable rattle at the front offside 2 years 10 months ago #196179

That is absolutely true, it makes no sense to have it in the drawer   

I just checked it again, I ordered the bushes from auto-doc, with the number RGX10006, at least on the German side, they are marked for the front, as I searched for the item with the number at rimmer bros, they are for the rear  , the correct number for the front is RGX000920.

So new order made, but this time the powerflex ones with correct numbers, because all other types are not available outside of the UK. 

Undetectable rattle at the front offside 2 years 10 months ago #196184

You mean after Brexit even British rubbers are banned I suppose that leaves the market open for French letters.
Good luck and let us know if it cures the rattle.

Undetectable rattle at the front offside 2 years 9 months ago #196211

Until I'm waiting for the new part, I recognized that the knocking / rattling sound can be easily reproduced.

It is not possible to force it stationary but it is enough to release the hand brake and as the car starts to roll, even if it is just 50 cm which the car rolls without running engine and touching the steering wheel, the knocking / rattling is here twice. As it starts to roll and as I stop the car with the hand brake or the brakes.

Last edit: Post by zsoltgraz.

Undetectable rattle at the front offside 2 years 9 months ago #196248

If you can reproduce the knock/rattle with such low inputs I would think something is hanging down under the car maybe it's not in view, hidden up the side of the engine or somewhere. If you can get it on a ramp with sturdy chocks each end someone could rock the car using a socket on the wheel nuts whilst you listen underneath to locate the source of the noise.

Undetectable rattle at the front offside 2 years 9 months ago #196260

Deepfat's idea of checking again while your TF is on a ramp, moving it slightly to stimulate the noise while you stand underneath sounds like an excellent idea.  I was wondering if you had investigated Joulian foulger's suggestion: Ref. https://www.the-t-bar.com/forum/9-mgf-tf-pitstop/97507-undetectable-rattle-at-the-front-offside#196075?  A bar behind the dash, loose at one end is a possibility, and would be more difficult to hear UNDER the car?

I have investigated inside the driver's door. The rattle is now different, but still there, despite adding foam padding behind what I THOUGHT was the culprit!  At least I know there is no rust inside that door, and I sprayed Waxoyl over the lower skins and anti-intrusion bars.
Good luck with your continuing search
John E

Undetectable rattle at the front offside 2 years 8 months ago #196628

Unfortunately I still not received the anti roll bar bushes…but I have some new recognition, I can feel the knocking / rattling in the gas pedal…..

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.111 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT