Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

GAZ or TRW ? 2 years 9 months ago #195968

Hi,
Looks like I need to replace the rear shocks on a 97 VVC. There several choices available, and I wondered if the adjustable shocks are notably different in the ride to a not so adjustable? Are they worth the extra £££'s over a standard set?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

GAZ or TRW ? 2 years 9 months ago #195970

I have adjustable Spax on my MGF VVC MK1 hydroelastic. Set to the softest setting. Probably makes no difference as I am not using the adjusters! But I can if I want.....

GAZ or TRW ? 2 years 9 months ago #195975

The original dampers on an F are a pretty unique configuration on that they only damp in one direction, i.e. in extension.  The hydragas provides the compression damping. 
This means that the top mounts are pretty flimsy and you need to be very careful about putting in adjustable dampers.  As Julian has said his are on the softest setting. 

Having made the unfortunate decision to go with Suplex replacement for my failed hydragas,  I have had to have two failed rear top mounts welded up and strengthened, after both cracked.
David
:shrug:
The following user(s) said Thank You: LanderMG

Last edit: Post by David Aiketgate.

GAZ or TRW ? 2 years 9 months ago #195998

thank you for your help.
I found a pair of TRW shocks for a third of the price of the Gaz so have ordered those today. Also order the bolts, washers and a poly bush kit. Not sure if I'll use that though as I understand they are for the lower shock fixing and I have no press.
Hopefully this will be one was thing to worry about. think next I will tackle the ARB and fixings

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.109 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT