Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Unusual Behaviour with MG F locking? 2 years 10 months ago #195933

Hello,
I have recently purchased a '97 VVC and am loving it. However I have noticed that when I lock the car with the fob, the doors lock, but the dash alarm light remains lit, and there was no indicators flashed. Is the car alarmed? I am able to unlock using the fob. 
I have tried to lock the car using the key, but as soon as the central locking activates both doors, it then unlocks them both. I have also seen that if I then just push the locking pin down, both doors lock, the rat-tat-tat sound is emitted from the passenger door, and the alarm light is lit. 
I have also noticed that the lights in the foot well, and on the mirror do not work always. I have checked fuses and they seem fine. 
Any ideas I can look into please?
TIA.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by LanderMG.

Unusual Behaviour with MG F locking? 2 years 10 months ago #195937

Sounds like a fault in the door lock(s). You need to isolate which lock is giving the rat a tat noises and replace it ( them). 
David
:shrug:
The following user(s) said Thank You: LanderMG

Unusual Behaviour with MG F locking? 2 years 10 months ago #195944

Thanks for the reply. In this case it's the passenger side. However it only does that when I attempt to lock with the key and not the fob. Does that make a difference?

Last edit: Post by LanderMG.

Unusual Behaviour with MG F locking? 2 years 10 months ago #195971

What is described as the machine gun rattle is usually down to a broken spindle inside the lock. If it is just locking/ unlocking repeatedly this is usually a failed microswitch inside the lock. Either way a replacement lock is the answer.
David
:shrug:
The following user(s) said Thank You: LanderMG

Unusual Behaviour with MG F locking? 2 years 10 months ago #196001

Thanks. I will have to take a closer look at the locks. Drivers side only or both?
While the door card is removed, I could replace the speakers, and pin up the window channels.
Anything else worth doing while the card is off?

Unusual Behaviour with MG F locking? 2 years 10 months ago #196063

Hi both,
David-I would have expected that the alarm would have gone off..
This has happened to me in my old MGF -it cant lock because of some obstruction..
I will try and think what caused my problem.
If this was a TF I would have gone for the SCU relays.-but the F does'nt seem to have relay issues.

Mike

Unusual Behaviour with MG F locking? 2 years 10 months ago #196064

Hi Lander MG   

if you have no door rattles -then just do some lubrication of the window channels and check the window height is not crushing the door seal.
Also one of my favourites ,is too disconnect the two wires to the mirror de-icer on the passenger side -its on all the time drawing 1 amp out of the battery,
Who drives an MGF or TF on an icy day anyway-instant brown trouser time!!

Mike

Unusual Behaviour with MG F locking? 2 years 10 months ago #196066

g4wam post=196064

Who drives an MGF or TF on an icy day anyway-instant brown trouser time!!

ME!

I have driven to work at 5.30 a.m. in Feb in snow, however it was light snow so the wipers were off and so was the roof.

I suspect the main reason they are on all the time is because it was cheaper than wiring in a switch.

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

Last edit: Post by talkingcars.

Unusual Behaviour with MG F locking? 2 years 9 months ago #196280

Hi,
I thought I would try the alarm self test today but sitting in the drivers seat and pushing the door pin down causes both doors to lock, then unlock straight away. No matter how many times I try, I can't get the doors to remain locked.
If I get out and lock with a key, the doors lock momentarily before unlocking. If I try again, then the doors lock and stay locked, and the dashboard light flashes away.
On no occasions have I been able to get the courtesy lights working, foot well or mirrors.

Unusual Behaviour with MG F locking? 2 years 9 months ago #196282

The doors won't lock if the drivers door is open unless you lift the outside handle/pull the inside handle, the pins will go down and straight back up.

If the door is shut or the handle is up/out and it doesn't lock it suggests the micro switch in the door or the wiring is faulty.

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

Unusual Behaviour with MG F locking? 2 years 9 months ago #196283

Ok so next steps are to remove the drivers door card and check wiring connections I guess.
Then if nothing obvious I suspect I need to source a replacement lock?

Unusual Behaviour with MG F locking? 2 years 8 months ago #196519

Well, finally got around to looking into just what be causing this behaviour.
It's the drivers side latch. When the door closes it doesn't fully engage the latch and the micro switch doesn't get activated.
I was able to open the door and using a screwdriver close the latch all the way and then using the fob, lock the door. Indicators flashed, led on dash rapid flash, and then steady.
Press the fob to unlock, and led went out too. Pull handle up, and disengage the latch with the screwdriver and the courtesy lights came on.
So.....I either need to make the latch complete a full rotation around the strike, or replace the whole Mk1 door latch

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.163 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT