Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

inlet Gasket Failure 2 years 10 months ago #195818

Has anyone experienced IHG failure which allows coolant to get into the sump?

I'm investigating a problem with my TF.
Purchased as possible HGF.
Minor loss of coolant.
Steam from exhaust on start-up after being idle for a few days. Rectifies after reaching temperature.
No oil in coolant.

Can anyone confirm this as IGF?

Thanks in advance

JR

Please Log in to join the conversation.

inlet Gasket Failure 2 years 10 months ago #195821

Both of our F's have had inlet manifold gasket failure, which does result in a minor loss of coolant.  The original type of inlet manifold gasket was known to go hard, resulting in coolant leak.  Coolant was found leaking down the side of the engine block, not easy to see but I found adding coolant dye helped.

A bit of steam from the exhaust on startup is completely normal for any car, as long as it disappears after a couple minutes.
Mark
95 MGF

inlet Gasket Failure 2 years 10 months ago #195823

Thanks Mark.

My problem is that it appears as if water is getting in the sump. (White moisture on dipstick).
So my query was can water get into the engine inlets and subsequently into the oil when left standing. (little used car).

I suppose I'll just replace the gasket and take it from there

inlet Gasket Failure 2 years 10 months ago #195825

It would be very unusual to get water in the sump from an inlet gasket failure. Usually down to the head gasket or worse...

Incidentally, changing to an alloy inlet manifold is the permanent cure to a bendy plastic one leaking.
David
:shrug:

inlet Gasket Failure 2 years 10 months ago #195828

Thanks David, it already has the alloy manifold. So next is to pressurise the coolant. See if leakage can be seen - or not!

inlet Gasket Failure 2 years 10 months ago #195857

Well I'm taking the bull by the horns - taking the head off. So we'll see

inlet Gasket Failure 2 years 10 months ago #195862

I can't think of anyway that coolant could leak from the gasket through to the sump unless it is going in to the valve chamber, entering the combustion chamber and leaking past a cylinder.

It isn't uncommon to get a little bit of mayo on the dipstick if the car isn't used much.
Have you checked the underneath of the oil cap that is above the engine, not the one accessible from the boot by the dipstick.

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

inlet Gasket Failure 2 years 10 months ago #195868

Thanks Talkingcars.
I’m changing the HG etc.
The thing which confirmed this action was a test to idle till reaching normal temperature. Once up the engine would function normally except that with some regularity there would be a puff of white from the exhaust.
By the way - the Mayo had been checked — just a little in the cap but some could be seen on the surface of the rocker gasket. I had expected an HGF would produce more - hence investigating elsewhere.
Thanks again. JR

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.093 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT