Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Replacing Steering Rack. 2 years 10 months ago #195790

Afternoon all. Planning to replace the steering rack on my F sometime over the next week. Some say i have to loosen subframe and others say it can be done by removing track rod end and boot cover along with mounting bracket's and extracted from drivers side. Which easier and quicker and more importantly possible. All brackets and bolts have been cleaned, soaked and loosened in preparation for either.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Replacing Steering Rack. 2 years 10 months ago #195795

I can't help as I was changing my subframe at the same time but I changed the rack to a TF one, the quicker turning circle is great.

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Postman87

Replacing Steering Rack. 2 years 10 months ago #195806

When I did mine on my TF I did drop the subframe a bit to help bring the rack out. Not sure it will come out without doing this, but to be honest, I was happy to undo the bolts on the subframe to make sure they were free, and I actually replaced the bolts for new ones. Before removing the rack, check the universal joint between the bottom of the column and the rack, as I replaced my rack for nothing, finding that the play was in the universal joint.

Sundance
The following user(s) said Thank You: David Aiketgate, Postman87

Replacing Steering Rack. 2 years 10 months ago #195808

Thanks Sundance. I've been out this morning and managed to free all the bolts on the subframe mounts. A wire brush and some fast release penetrant yesterday seem to have done it's job. I'll check the universal joint when I get back to it. Hopefully before the end of the week weather permitting. Advisories on MOT stated both inner joints and track rod ends had play, so if their wrong I'll not be happy. I've also got a set of stainless steel bolts somewhere. Might be a good idea to change the bolts so at a later date I can get the subframe off for a spruce up.

Replacing Steering Rack. 2 years 10 months ago #195809

Be wary of using stainless bolts on anything structural or of critical safety that didn't come with them OEM.............Whilst they have excellent corrosion resistance they lack strength, so they could fail.
Much better to use quality high tensile steel bolts with anti seize compound applied to them.
"Keep calm, relax, focus on the problem & PULL THE BLOODY TRIGGER"
The following user(s) said Thank You: talkingcars, mowog73, Postman87

Replacing Steering Rack. 2 years 10 months ago #195812

Thanks Cobber I'll look into that.

Replacing Steering Rack. 2 years 9 months ago #195831

In answer to my own question about removing the steering rack without dropping the subframe. No way. Taking the tie rod end and the rubber boot off makes no difference. As my old grandpa used to say " you couldn't get a Baw Hair through that gap".  Thankfully I had cleaned and loosened the mount bolts so it was a no great hardship. Job done, now onto the next one.
The following user(s) said Thank You: David Aiketgate

Replacing Steering Rack. 2 years 9 months ago #195922

....Advisories on MOT stated both inner joints and track rod ends had play, so if their wrong I'll not be happy.....

Did you find anything? I have had advisories for inner joint play for several years and on 2 different racks so I am waiting until it is a bit more obvious.

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

Replacing Steering Rack. 2 years 9 months ago #195926

Hi talkingcars.
On removing the steering rack it was clearly worn. The inner joints just were sliding back and forward with no effort. Truth be told I could feel it in the steering when I drove it back from Yorkshire at the end of last year. I found a new one for just over £100 so it was a no brainer to change it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: David Aiketgate

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.126 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT