Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Dutch RHD TF! Technical question :) 2 years 11 months ago #195764

Hi all,

Let me introduce myself first. I live in Holland and acquired a sketchy but amazing '03 TF 115. Bought it off the Dutch equivalent of eBay from some guy for only €900 (£750-800). Couldn't let it go for that money (accepted I was going to come across some work). Recent MOT (apk in Dutch) for the coming year. It had a rattle from the engine bay, but fixed it by fitting a new exhaust manifold gasket.

I did suspect an HGF when the coolant started boiling one time due to air trapped in the cooling system, thus dropping the boiling point. However, the common HGF symptoms does not (significantly) appear on mine:

- Engine has never overheated since I've got it, not even on fairly long drives.
- There does not seem to be mayonnaise-like slush in the oil. Not in oil filler cap, not around the camshafts (see photo's, all looks okay, right?).
- I have never lost any coolant (except for me spilling some because of absence of a funnel during re-filling the system  , I'm sorry Greenpeace)

Also, the rocker cover gasket looks and feels as good as new.

Maybe the problem is just that I am purposely looking for things that could be wrong with it, as I bought it for only €900.

However, now, when I apply 3/4 to full throttle, especially in lower revs and higher speeds, it just barely accelerates and there is a very soft fluid-like noise coming from the engine, sounding as if fluids are going places they shouldn't go throughout the engine (note: this was my analysis, could be something entirely different, of course).

I hope you guys can think along with me. I want to keep this extremely rare TF (only 900 TF's in Holland, of which most are LHD) on the road and improve it in the coming years. I'm planning on doing a 15-day road trip through GB in it this summer, so the TF must be in good state before mid-July.

Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by jvlr.

Dutch RHD TF! Technical question :) 2 years 11 months ago #195771

My neighbour thought that maybe it could be the fuel filter? 

Dutch RHD TF! Technical question :) 2 years 11 months ago #195772

:welcome2:

My first move would be to get an obd11 code reader. Narrow down the possibilities...  
David
:shrug:

Dutch RHD TF! Technical question :) 2 years 11 months ago #195773

to the forum from John in Yorkshire . I agree with the above comments . Give it a well deserved service with all the filters and get a yourself a P scan they are really useful bits of kit . 
The following user(s) said Thank You: jvlr

Dutch RHD TF! Technical question :) 2 years 11 months ago #195778

Hi and welcome to the forum

What plans do you have for your trip to the GB?

James

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

Dutch RHD TF! Technical question :) 2 years 11 months ago #195786

Thanks for your comments. I’ll do an OBD2 scan tomorrow after I fixed my rocker cover. For no obvious reason a small piece of metal snapped off today  so I will get one from a Rover at the local junkyard. 

Last edit: Post by jvlr.

Dutch RHD TF! Technical question :) 2 years 11 months ago #195787

Hi and welcome to the forum

What plans do you have for your trip to the GB?

James

I live in Haarlem (in between Amsterdam and the seaside). We'll drive to Dunkirk (I've seen Calais enough now), catch a ferry to Dover and travel from south to north (Kent - Cotswolds - bit of Wales - up and down Scotland) and then back to Holland via the Newcastle - IJmuiden ferry. Any suggestions or good driving roads? (most of them in GB are better than here anyways)

Dutch RHD TF! Technical question :) 2 years 11 months ago #195789

I live in Haarlem (in between Amsterdam and the seaside). We'll drive to Dunkirk (I've seen Calais enough now), catch a ferry to Dover and travel from south to north (Kent - Cotswolds - bit of Wales - up and down Scotland) and then back to Holland via the Newcastle - IJmuiden ferry. Any suggestions or good driving roads? (most of them in GB are better than here anyways)

Hi and welcome to the forum.
If your planning a trip to Scotland might i suggest the North Coast 500   

Attachments:

Last edit: Post by Postman87.

Dutch RHD TF! Technical question :) 2 years 11 months ago #195807

Hi and welcome to the forum.
If your planning a trip to Scotland might i suggest the West Coast 500   

Definitely, looks very good! Thanks

Dutch RHD TF! Technical question :) 2 years 11 months ago #195810

That map needs to show the distilleries!
"Keep calm, relax, focus on the problem & PULL THE BLOODY TRIGGER"

Dutch RHD TF! Technical question :) 2 years 11 months ago #195813

You don't need a map to find a distillery in Scotland. And anyway if i did show you where they were we would have to rename it the North Coast 5

Dutch RHD TF! Technical question :) 2 years 10 months ago #195819

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.112 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT