Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Unknown Air Filter Type 2 years 10 months ago #195753

Hi everyone,

So I am trying to get to grips with my 02 TF. Being fairly new to cars in general this means covering the basics first such as air filters. I have some idling issues and before things get too complicated it seems best to clean / replace the air filter, so I opened up my engine bay and found I have a performance air filter installed rather than what came as standard. 

My question is has anyone seen one of these before and know what to do with it? It reminds me of those cone shaped K&N filters but then why is there a metal housing around it and how on earth am I meant to take it apart? Being new to all of this I'm worried of making things worse..so I'm also a bit hesitant to start unclipping random things without knowing what they do.

Any suggestions would be a huge help!

Thanks!

Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by MG_OS.

Unknown Air Filter Type 2 years 10 months ago #195756

Not sure on the make but its a cold air feed filter which is good. 👍 
There should be a jubilee type clip on the hose that disappears into the depths and another on the feed to the throttle body. 
It'll be foam inside, just rinse and dry, some people use a special  oil on afterwards but its not necessary.
David
:shrug:
The following user(s) said Thank You: MG_OS

Unknown Air Filter Type 2 years 10 months ago #195757

Thanks for the tips! I will try do that sometime this week. Is it worth getting any air cleaner fluids at all?

Unknown Air Filter Type 2 years 10 months ago #195781

Once you have identified the make of the filter I would get a cleaner kit for that make.
Personally I do use the recommended oil as it catches the finer dust before it goes into the engine.

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

Unknown Air Filter Type 2 years 10 months ago #195811

Once you have identified the make of the filter I would get a cleaner kit for that make.
Personally I do use the recommended oil as it catches the finer dust before it goes into the engine.

I agree. Otherwise why did the filter come supplied with oil in the first place.....

Last edit: Post by talkingcars. Reason: To tidy up quote.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.121 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT