Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

2003 MGTF Gearbox oil seals 2 years 11 months ago #195599

Ok, I feel a bit stupid for asking but I've looked at the exploded diagrams of the gearbox and can see the 2 gearbox seals where the driveshafts fit. However, I'm at a loss when I look at the gearbox in front of me. Do I have to remove what looks like metal end caps to get to the seals when the drive shafts have been removed or have I lost the plot? Do these caps fit back on again? Its been a long trudge removing the engine and subframe and whilst it would be easy to say I'm fed up, the reality is I'm just bamboozled.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

2003 MGTF Gearbox oil seals 2 years 11 months ago #195609

Recently been there and got the tee shirt......

The outer edge of the seal is a metal ring that sits on the rim of the hole. A few sharp taps with a small drift and a hammer gets them moving.

Be warned, they are two different sizes with the O/S being slightly smaller. Rimmers no longer lists this one, only the larger N/S.
After getting the two large from Rimmers I managed to find the smaller one on eBay, but only as a pair with the larger one.

When refitting I pushed them in as far as I could and then used a lump of timber bigger than the seal gave them a couple of firm tabs to get them in square.

After loosing the best part of 2 litres of oil after doing the clutch and refitting I regretted not changing the seals, I will replace them if I ever take the driveshafts out again.

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.
The following user(s) said Thank You: trevtherevs

2003 MGTF Gearbox oil seals 2 years 11 months ago #195617

You may well find that the oil seals are generic, look for numbers on the face of the seal, beeter still take the seals in with you, go to an industrial bearing supplier, drop 'em on the counter and let the counter jumper see if he can find a suitable equivalent.
A gearbox designer would have to have some very specific requirements to bother with a custom seal when there are plenty of more cost effective, standard off the shelf seals that would do the job.
"Keep calm, relax, focus on the problem & PULL THE BLOODY TRIGGER"

2003 MGTF Gearbox oil seals 2 years 11 months ago #195624

I don't know how many PG1 boxes were manufactures between 1983 and 2006 but the number will be several million.

I didn't find any numbers on them when I was comparing them to see why the one I had just bought didn't fit. I did find they were different sizes.

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.103 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT