Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Ran out of fuel now wont start? 3 years 4 days ago #195400

Afternoon folks, 
Needing some advice please, my tf ran out of fuel, I have put petrol in now the car wont start any advice?

Regards

Fordmill

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Ran out of fuel now wont start? 3 years 4 days ago #195401

Hi . Do I take it that the starter is turning the engine but wont fire ? Can you confirm that when you turn the key to the first position to put the  ignition lights on , that you can hear the fuel pump buzz and then stop as it fills the fuel rail ? If you can't hear it then it could be that the pump has failed or that it has lost its live feed having blown a fuse . Start by checking for the blown fuse and then i would be checking the relay that controls the pump as it may be stuck . The fuel pump relay is located ( I believe )  behind the boot carpet trim on the left hand rear side of the car . There is a fuel pump inertia switch that might have tripped and that is under the engine bay inspection grille on the left hand side  of the engine bay and has a square black rubber cover over the trip plunger . Just press the center of it to reset it . The fuse for the fuel pump is located in the under bonnet fuse box and is F6 . Early TF's may have had the earlier pump relay that was in the engine module relay near the ECU again on the left hand side of the engine bay . Hope this helps .  
John 
The following user(s) said Thank You: Leigh Ping

Last edit: Post by sworkscooper. Reason: Spelling

Ran out of fuel now wont start? 3 years 3 days ago #195403

I believe the fuel pump is cooled by the petrol surrounding it (the pump sits in the fuel tank). If you kept the ignition on with no fuel in the tank, I wonder if the pump has burnt out......

In 23 years I have not heard this as a reason, but if the fuse has not blown and if you do not hear the pump starting on turning on the ignition, it may be worth checking out.

Ran out of fuel now wont start? 3 years 2 days ago #195429

I believe the fuel pump is cooled by the petrol surrounding it (the pump sits in the fuel tank). If you kept the ignition on with no fuel in the tank, I wonder if the pump has burnt out......

In 23 years I have not heard this as a reason, but if the fuse has not blown and if you do not hear the pump starting on turning on the ignition, it may be worth checking out.

Well, Let me be the first one in 23 years to confirm this for you... I did it (twice!) when the car was off the road and only had a small amount of fuel in. I left it running to get it warmed through and it ran out... put 5 lts in and boom... no pump. 
It would be my first point to check followed by a blocked filter from picking up crud.  

Ran out of fuel now wont start? 3 years 2 days ago #195430

I haven't heard of this on a F but have on other vehicles.

James

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

Ran out of fuel now wont start? 2 years 11 months ago #195456

Thanks for the replies folks, Found the issue, Stripped the fuel pump and found that the brushes had burn out. As the brushes are quite small I am going to replace the brushes and adapt the pump so they will fit. Once again thanks for the replies

Ran out of fuel now wont start? 2 years 11 months ago #195459

Just bin the pump and get a new one, It's what I did. Don't remember how much it was but it wasn't expensive, a fairly generic part so it wasn't hard to find one. I think I just dropped it on the parts counter and said: "One of them!"
"Keep calm, relax, focus on the problem & PULL THE BLOODY TRIGGER"

Last edit: Post by Cobber.

Ran out of fuel now wont start? 2 years 11 months ago #195460

I know where your coming from but i just like to repair things 👍

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.135 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT