Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

engine oil 3 years 3 weeks ago #195268

• Sims's Avatar Topic Author
  • Sims
  • Apprentice MGer
  • Apprentice MGer
Can any one advise me what type of engine oil to put into a LE500. Semi-synthetic or fully synthetic and whether 10w/40 or 5w/30 is best.
I have looked on Halfords oil tool with my car details and it recommends no oils are suitable for my car. The car handbook wasn't to helpful.
I am having to remove my oil filter to get a new ss exhaust manifold in. Well hopefully get it in with oil filter removed. It won't go in from the top
Thanks
Best wishes
Simon

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:engine oil 3 years 3 weeks ago #195269

Can any one advise me what type of engine oil to put into a LE500. Semi-synthetic or fully synthetic and whether 10w/40 or 5w/30 is best.
I have looked on Halfords oil tool with my car details and it recommends no oils are suitable for my car. The car handbook wasn't to helpful.
I am having to remove my oil filter to get a new ss exhaust manifold in. Well hopefully get it in with oil filter removed. It won't go in from the top
Thanks
Best wishes
Simon

10w/40 Semi synthetic is the correct oil, synthetic is also acceptable but un necessary.

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sims

Re:engine oil 3 years 3 weeks ago #195270

• Sims
  • Apprentice MGer
  • Apprentice MGer
Many thanks Steve. I will get some 10w/40 and get on with manifold installation tomorrow. Simon

Re:engine oil 3 years 2 weeks ago #195277

:welcome2:

I'm a bit confused by your post. Its pretty easy to fit the exhaust manifold from the top!

You do know about the engine access panel under the rear window?  
https://www.the-t-bar.com/forum/22-cjjs-guides/2169-engine-inspection-panel-how-to-remove
David
:shrug:

Last edit: Post by David Aiketgate.

Re:engine oil 3 years 2 weeks ago #195283

As per Steve semi 10w/40 is perfect.

IIRC the LE500 has a cat in the down pipe so has that affected fitting the manifold?

James

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

Re:engine oil 3 years 2 weeks ago #195285

• Sims
  • Apprentice MGer
  • Apprentice MGer
Hi David and James,
                                 I have managed to get the old manifold out the top. I had removed the alternator but left the  air con compressor in place as the air con system is charged. That was reasonably easy. I took away the flexy pipe going back to the cat as well.
However Installation of a Mike Satur 421 manifold has been a bit of a nightmare today. It won't go in the top without possibly removing the air con but not convinced it will even if I do remove the air con.
I have removed the engine torque tamer from the sump to the subframe (will polybush this) and I have removed the engine oil filter to give access. Even with a trolley jack pushing  the rear of the sump up, the manifold won't fit through the gap between the engine and the cross member as the exhaust heat shield bracket that is half way down the manifold stops the manifold being advanced upwards. The pipe work just squeezes through at its widest part
I gave up this evening after several hours of fun but my plan A tomorrow is to cut the fouling heat shield bracket off and hopefully I can get the manifold in from below.Plan B will be trying to find someone to degas my air con but that will probably happen post lockdown.

If you have any advice I would most grateful. 

Best wishes

Simon

Re:Re:engine oil 3 years 2 weeks ago #195286

Hi David and James,
                                 I have managed to get the old manifold out the top. I had removed the alternator but left the  air con compressor in place as the air con system is charged. That was reasonably easy. I took away the flexy pipe going back to the cat as well.
However Installation of a Mike Satur 421 manifold has been a bit of a nightmare today. It won't go in the top without possibly removing the air con but not convinced it will even if I do remove the air con.
I have removed the engine torque tamer from the sump to the subframe (will polybush this) and I have removed the engine oil filter to give access. Even with a trolley jack pushing  the rear of the sump up, the manifold won't fit through the gap between the engine and the cross member as the exhaust heat shield bracket that is half way down the manifold stops the manifold being advanced upwards. The pipe work just squeezes through at its widest part
I gave up this evening after several hours of fun but my plan A tomorrow is to cut the fouling heat shield bracket off and hopefully I can get the manifold in from below.Plan B will be trying to find someone to degas my air con but that will probably happen post lockdown.

If you have any advice I would most grateful. 

Best wishes

Simon

I've not done it but I read somewhere that to fit the MS manifold you have to jack the engine up slightly with the torque tamer removed to give a slight tilt to the engine.

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

Re:Re:engine oil 3 years 2 weeks ago #195287

• Sims
  • Apprentice MGer
  • Apprentice MGer
Hi Steve,
               Thank you. I tried that with torque tamer removed but heat shield bracket of the back of the manifold fouls access by a centimetre. Scared to continue jacking up the engine further and further.  I will chop the bracket off tomorrow and hopefully it will advance upwards.

best wishes

Simon

Re: Mike Satur manifold 3 years 2 weeks ago #195288

Why don't you contact Mike Satur, he's on facebook, or directly though his web site 🤔

From one of the reviews on Mikes site "The system went together beautifully and only needed the engine lifting to make space to get the manifold located"

​​​​​​

Last edit: Post by gloscs. Reason: Update

Re: Mike Satur manifold 3 years 2 weeks ago #195291

• Sims
  • Apprentice MGer
  • Apprentice MGer
Cheers. Good advice. I phoned Mike and exhaust goes in from the bottom. I probably need to swing the engine a bit more to gain enough access.

Re: Mike Satur manifold 3 years 2 weeks ago #195295

Have you raised the car up on axle stands?
That may help with you quest.

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

Re: Exhaust manifold 3 years 2 weeks ago #195297

• Sims
  • Apprentice MGer
  • Apprentice MGer
Hi James, 
                I have got her on hydraulic ramps at the rear and also axle stands for safety. Torque tamer is out . I am hoping the quest is nearly over.

Many thanks

Simon

Last edit: Post by Sims.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.130 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT