Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Passenger door locked 3 years 1 month ago #195207

Hi all,

The car is a 1996 MGF - export (Aussie) version - it's in the UK - Lincoln!
Took daughter out for the fortnightly winter run and she inadvertanetly pushed the door lock pin/knob down, since then the door cannot be opened from inside or out, the locking pin/knob will not came up (tried pliers etc). Car locks and unlocks normally (apart from passenger door) with both remote fob and key in drivers door, but when trying to unlock a ratatatatata - machine gun type sound comes from passenger side door area  All other alarm/immobiliser functions are normal. Is there any thing I should check or try before having to dismantle the passenger door from the inside which will no doubt destroy the door card - fitted last year. Much to the wife's dismay as it is her pride & joy!

With many thanks & regards to all

Windsor  

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Passenger door locked 3 years 1 month ago #195209

The door lock is broken, the machine gun noise is indicative of a broken internal gear spindle.

New lock needed.
David
:shrug:
The following user(s) said Thank You: WindsorD

Passenger door locked 3 years 1 month ago #195210

David,
Thank you. Do you know a clever way of getting access to the lock - ie getting door open again?

Best regards

Windsor

Passenger door locked 3 years 1 month ago #195215

Try holding the button up while trying to unlock the door. Failing that here is Adam's how to take the door card off with the door stuck shut.

https://www.the-t-bar.com/forum/25-adamelphick-s-guides/43407-passenger-door-lock-jammed-solved?start=24#44068
David
:shrug:

Passenger door locked 3 years 1 month ago #195224

Hi Windsor . 
All vehicles with central locking are wired so that in the event of a collision with both doors locked , the inertia fuel cut off switch automatically opens the locks . I agree with David that the rattle ( machine gun death rattle )  is a sign that the pin is broken in the door latch so im not certain that the method I suggest will work but there is no harm in giving it a try . With the boot open and the  drivers door window down,  manually lock the doors , then turn the ignition on but dont start the engine . The fuel cut off switch ( Inertia switch )  is under the engine inspection grille on the n/s ( passenger side ) of the engine bay . If you remove the grille to give easier access , give the body of the switch a firm tap , it should release the door locks . I tried this last year with a TF with a similar problem death rattle lock and it unlocked both doors .   

John    
The following user(s) said Thank You: talkingcars

Passenger door locked 3 years 1 month ago #195226

I should just add that if you do this and the locks do release , be sure to reset the inertia switch by pressing the the top of the rubber covered button or you will find the engine will not run . 
John
The following user(s) said Thank You: WindsorD

Last edit: Post by sworkscooper. Reason: Missed a bit .
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.104 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT