Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

EPAS and other general ramblings 3 years 1 month ago #195166

I'm using TF subframes with all the suspension and steering parts, including the column and EPAS unit to go into my Mk2 Metro project.  What I'd like to know is, can I use the single passenger rear speed sensor to feed the EPAS with a speed signal or does it need to go into the engine ECU first?  I'm asking because I'm not using the BCM or ECU from the TF for this project so need to find a way around it if I can't feed it directly from that sensor.  The doner TF has no ABS, just the single sensor.  I've found it in the wiring diagram referred to as rough road sensor?  If that's the correct thing I'm looking at?

Other ramblings for the moment are along the lines of wheel bearings and hubs, I'm looking to use a different hub and wondered if anyone knows, short of me pulling a bearing apart, how thick the inner race is so I can decide whether to turn it out a little or machine down the hub I'm going to be using.  I have a total difference in diameters of 2mm and was toying with the idea of either:

A - turn down the hub 2mm
B - turn down the hub 1mm and increase the internal diameter of the bearing 1mm

Please Log in to join the conversation.

EPAS and other general ramblings 3 years 1 month ago #195169

I have no idea on the hubs but I assumed that they were the same on the 100 and the F/TF.

The EPAS takes a speed reading from the speedo in the form of a digital signal.

This signal goes to the EPAS ECU and is used to switch off the EPAS if the system detects that the engine is run at over 2500 RPM for more than 30 seconds.

On mk1 F the speedo gets a speed reading through a traditional speedo cable taken from a sender on the gearbox. Mk2 F and TF take an electrical digital signal from a sender mounted where the cable drive for the earlier car lives. IIRC the mk2 metro still uses the A+ engine so the speedo drive couldn't be swapped but you might be able to find a way to get the signal from the speedo but don't ask me how.

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

EPAS and other general ramblings 3 years 1 month ago #195172

Hmm, food for thought then, maybe use a rectifier to convert the analogue signal from the single wheel speed sensor to a digital one and then feed it direct?

From what I can find out the EPAS gets 2 signals?  1 for engine rpm and the other for vehicle speed but I can't find out how as there is only 1 wire going to it from the ECU according to the diagram.

EPAS and other general ramblings 3 years 1 month ago #195175

.......  1 for engine rpm and the other for vehicle speed but I can't find out how as there is only 1 wire going to it from the ECU according to the diagram.

As above, the speed signal comes from the speedo.

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.092 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT