Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Hand brake dash light 3 years 3 months ago #195016

The dash warning light comes on at the slightest bump on the road, only going off when the handbrake is totally at the bottom. Could a kind soul direct me to the right bolt to loose /tighten? Cheers!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Hand brake dash light 3 years 3 months ago #195018

Before adjusting any cables/switches, I would advise you to check the rear brakes and service the calipers.

Flashing handbrake light is often a symptom of the handbrake mechanism in one of the calipers sticking.

There is a lever in each caliper that needs to freely move back under its own spring tension, and they often start sticking. If it gets too bad, handbrake efficiency deteriorates and new calipers are required.

Hand brake dash light 3 years 3 months ago #195019

You should also check brake fliud level, since you may suffer from low brake fluid and your brakes might not work as they should. For your info handbrake light on the dash will illuminate if handbrake is up or if you brake fluid is low.

Re:Hand brake dash light 3 years 3 months ago #195020

Many thanks. Do you think that's likely given the light goes out when the handbrake is at its lowest position? I will investigate though.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Re:Hand brake dash light 3 years 3 months ago #195021

It is true that the light indicates low brake fluid as well as the handbrake on.  Since you say the light goes out when you push the handbrake lever down, it suggests that the problem is with the handbrake and unfortunately this seems to most usually be down to a sticking caliper.

But, it only takes a moment to check the brake fluid so I would eliminate that first.  Running out of brake fluid could be catastrophic while a sticky caliper will be a nagging problem that gradually deteriorates.  In the scheme of things, the problem you describe seems quite common in the MGF/TF and it's not too hard to fix.

Re:Hand brake dash light 3 years 3 months ago #195027

Often it is the light switch which is underneath the hand brake. It just needs adjusting.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.116 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT