Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Car tyre choice 3 years 2 months ago #194893

• Sims's Avatar Topic Author
  • Sims
  • Apprentice MGer
  • Apprentice MGer
New to MGTF. I wonder if anyone could recommend current best recommended tyres for MGTF. 215/40R16 rear and 195/45R16 front. The Toyo proxes T1-R currently on it wander a bit. Would appreciate your advice as I understand MGTFs are a bit a diva when it comes to tyres. Thanks

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Car tyre choice 3 years 2 months ago #194901

I have Falken Ziex ze914 on the front and some cheap Event ditchfinders on the back in the sizes you mention. They seem fine to me for my kind of driving. I expect to be buying new tyres this year and will almost certainly buy Falken Ziex ze310 as the 914s are no longer available. Some people prefer the Toyo Proxes TR1. I'm not arguing!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sims

Car tyre choice 3 years 2 months ago #194906

• Sims's Avatar Topic Author
  • Sims
  • Apprentice MGer
  • Apprentice MGer
Thank you. I will look at the falken ze310s. Cheers Simon.

Car tyre choice 3 years 2 months ago #194917

The new pattern Toyo TR-1 tyres are a vast improvement on the older T1-R treads, I got rid of my set of T1-R's after 500 miles and moved on to Falkens, but now the Toyos are back in favour, good hard wearing grippy tyre and lots of confidence in the wet, just still cannot get used to the tread pattern!

Sundance

Car tyre choice 3 years 2 months ago #194921

Hi Sims
Have Toyo TR1's all round for the last 2 years and can find no fault with them.

Car tyre choice 3 years 2 months ago #194923

I'm on the new Toyos too.

No problems so far but I've only done a couple of hundred miles with them.

Car tyre choice 3 years 1 month ago #195156

I also have the new Toyos. They seem fine, although they haven’t had a great deal of use yet.

Car tyre choice 3 years 1 month ago #195162

12 months on the new pattern Toyo TR-1's and they feel like the best tyre I have run on a TF in 17 years of driving them!

Sundance

Car tyre choice 3 years 1 month ago #195165

My F doesn't like the TR1....I managed 3 miles on a brand new set before the O/S/R lower shock absorber bolt snapped and in the 200 yards it took me to find somewhere to pull over the upper anti-roll drop link top bolt had cut a nice grove down to the canvas!

I got a new one fitted and managed a couple of hundred miles before taking her off the road for MOT prep. Part of that prep is to replace the outer CV boot the shook absorber took out. Upon taking the wheel off I found a screw through the side wall of the tyre, just on the shoulder where it can't be repaired by a regular tyre shop.

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

Car tyre choice 3 years 3 weeks ago #195248

I'd like to chip in with my recent experience, which all speaks to the point that tyre choice is super-important on these cars. So, it's a TF160; when I bought it one of the rears was in poor condition, so I immediately changed them both as a pair for Toyo Proxes TR1 (215/40R16). The fronts were existing Toyo Proxes T1R's (195/45R16), with loads of tread on them (although date stamped 2015, so 5yo). The car never really felt right in a straight line at motorway speeds (>60mph) - it didn't pull to either side, but it was light and often felt like it wanted to suddenly get wobbly. I did the due diligence on it - made sure the pressures were correct and maintaining that pressure, suspension parts checked for play, front tracking checked, and I couldn't shake that uncertain feeling at speed. Of course, I'd read loads on the forums here, and I kept coming back to the tyres, but it felt wrong having to replace the T1Rs with awesome amounts of tread on them. Eventually I convinced myself that thre was nothing for it; I'd just have to spend the money and find out. What. A. Difference. It feels stuck to the road now. The takeaway is - if you've crossed off all the common-cause things off the list, it is real. The wrong tyres, or mix of tyres, can make a world of difference. I was skeptical too - it's my first TF - but I'm 100% convinced now. It seems obvious with hind legs - look at the thread patterns below! - but I did have to take a bit of a leap of faith on it - paid off. For the record, because I know this is a thing too, the rears are Japan and the fronts are Malaysia - just what I happened to get, although both same tread pattern and new, obviously.  The first (asymmetric) pattern is the TR1, the second (symmetric looking one) is T1R

Attachments:

Last edit: Post by Bertl. Reason: pics added

Car tyre choice 3 years 3 weeks ago #195251

Since a bad experience with Toyo's, I have been running Falken ZE310's on Roxy's 16" alloys. Tyre pressures 28 front, 36 rear. They've been very good.
In October I had to drive out to France at 2 days notice and needed 195 45 R16 replacement front tyres before I left. None of the stockists available to me had either Falkens or Toyo's - so I had to fit Avon ZV7's as these were the only extra load tyres from a reputable name I could find. They are rated 84V Extra Load.
I've now done over 2300 miles on this Avon (F)/ Falken (R) combination and I'm very happy. The initial 900 mile drive to France was fully fully laden - I even had stuff packed all round the spare wheel. Roxy was rock solid on the motorways, when for extended periods I was travelling at serious three figure speeds. There was also a 3 hour section of torrential rain and blustery winds and again she felt safe and secure at the much slower speeds required - no aquaplaning or tramlining at all.
Over the last 3+ months my motoring has mainly been on local twisty roads in every weather condition, including light snow. Despite typically low temperatures (most of the locals are running around with winter tyres) I've nothing but praise for cornering grip, driver feedback and low tyre noise. The Avon's also still look brand new, so I've high hopes for decent tyre wear.
With tyres so critical to our cars, it'd be interesting to hear if anyone else has experience of these Avon ZV7's. Like I say - I'm very happy with them on Roxy.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Fisher

Car tyre choice 3 years 3 weeks ago #195254

So Winko Just to be clear you have Avon ZV7's mixed with Falken ZE310's . Which do you have on the front wheels?

Robert

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.147 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT