Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

MGF rough running 3 years 3 months ago #194850

Hi all I have been having an issue with the running of my MGF for the last couple of weeks and I haven't managed to get to the bottom of it.
The car starts and idles OK, but as soon as I give it even a little throttle it coughs, splutters then back fires if I hold it down. and makes it un-drivable,
but then in idle it sound very sweet.

I have changes a few things some for new of Ebay some I had spares lying around.
New HT leads.
New dizzy cap and Rotor
new crank sensor, great pain to replace.
replaces the coil with an old one I had lying around.
pulled all the plugs they were all sooty as you'd expect from something miss firing, I cleaned them and put the same ones back.
replaced the throttle sensor with a spare I had lying around.
Checked the Cam belt timing, broke the cam belt cover in the process, every thing seems to line up although I do need a new cam belt as this one appears to be cracking.
pulled the air filter of the throttle body squirted carb cleaner into it, still no good.
Don't think its a blocked breather tube as I pulled one with no difference.

Its leaving me scratching my head wondering what the hell is going on with it.

Anyone experience anything like this before? Could it be a wiring issue? Fuel Issue?

Cheers.
Dan

Please Log in to join the conversation.

MGF rough running 3 years 3 months ago #194852

Hi Dan,
To me, this sounds like crud / waxing in the fuel system. How old is the fuel? If it's getting on a bit, current colder weather will exacerbate the problems using old fuel can create. Bang some high octane fuel into the tank - in my experience Shell is the best.
W

MGF rough running 3 years 3 months ago #194853

Hi, fuel should ( I think ) be OK as I was using it regularly and mostly it was the shell stuff.
would a fuel regulator problem cause this.

I have been getting an intermediate starting problem which I thought was down to the fuel relay (will not start until relay pack disconnected then reconnected) but I swapped the relay pack for a used one but the issue continued to occur once a month or something like that.

So I'm just wondering has some old wiring causing this?
I don't have access to a pscan scanner.

I've got to a stage where I might just SORN it until the weather is good. save me some money then work on it in the spring.

Cheers.
Dan.

MGF rough running 3 years 3 months ago #194855

When was the last time the fuel filter was replaced? another possibility is a dying fuel pump
"Keep calm, relax, focus on the problem & PULL THE BLOODY TRIGGER"

Last edit: Post by Cobber.

MGF rough running 3 years 3 months ago #194856

It could be a failed lambda sensor.(O2 sensor)
David
:shrug:

MGF rough running 3 years 3 months ago #194870

Hi and welcome to the forum Dan

If you have a coil and leads I am guessing you have a mk1 1.8i non VVC?

James

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.111 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT