Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Track Day next week 3 years 4 months ago #194678

I've just booked a track day for next week the day after the end of the latest lockdown at Mallory Park.

I'm an experienced historic racer of many years but this will be the first time that I've taken my newly acquired TF160 on track.

My car is in good order and has just had a major service including new cambelts and has also had 4 wheel alignment.

The engine has a Kmaps ecu upgrade, sports exhaust and a Pipercross air filter.

I will be running it with a hard top on and xpower Mk.1 roll hoops, torque tamer poly bushes, Satur brake servo bracket upgrade, Mintex M1144 front pads and new Toyo Proxes. If I can get it painted in time I may also have a Moto-build front splitter fitted.

Any set up tips such as tyre pressures for track days for either wet or dry running would be most welcome.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Track Day next week 3 years 4 months ago #194690

I've found that for hooning around, 28psi front and 36psi rear gives great grip and feedback, in both wet and dry conditions.
Hope you enjoy your track day...Mallory Park is a fun place to spend a day.

Track Day next week 3 years 4 months ago #194699

I would start with standard pressures and see how it goes.

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

Track Day next week 3 years 3 months ago #194705

Thanks for the feedback on tyre pressures. Weather report isn't too good; cold, wet possible sleet.

I've been advised by Mark of Kmaps that it is quite common to disable the power steering by removing the fuse in order to improve steering feel. Anyone tried this?

Track Day next week 3 years 3 months ago #194706

Wet track with sleet? Sounds like my honeymoon night....

Removing the fuse will disable the EPAS, but you'll almost certainly have a dash warning light on. That's the only negative I think. If you're going to spend most of your time trackside, you can bypass the system to get rid of the dash light. Whilst on the circuit, just put a bit of tape over the light, so you're not distracted.

If you've not already done so, switch the clock and oil temperature gauges, so oil's nearer your eye line. It's a 5 minute job.

If you didn't get round to fitting the front splitter, leave the spare wheel in place under the bonnet. The extra front end weight helps cornering balance and therefore lap time, more than having a lighter car.

Let us know how your day goes.

Winko
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bertl

Track Day next week 3 years 3 months ago #194728

Just returned from Mallory we had a good morning started damp but raining by noon so aborted at lunchtime. I tried the car with power steering enabled and with it disabled.

Disabled was soooo much better!

We also got the front splitter fitted in good time.

Grey car on a very grey day!
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: talkingcars

Last edit: Post by Seamus.

Track Day next week 3 years 3 months ago #194770

A couple of pictures from Mallory Park last Friday.

There are many more posted on here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/javelintrackdays/50690428343/in/album-72157717197664058/
Attachments:

Track Day next week 3 years 3 months ago #194771

There were two other MGs there on the day; a red MGF and a multi coloured black/blue/grey TF135.

The TF had an off at Gerrards and went into the barriers, when he recovered back to the pits a few mods with a crowbar and he was back out again.

The driver told be he bought the car off ebay as a non runner only because the keys were locked in the boot for £200!
Attachments:

Last edit: Post by Seamus. Reason: added more info

Track Day next week 3 years 3 months ago #194776

The Moto-build front splitter looks very good. Was it the Elise MkII one you fitted, and how much modification was necessary?

What tyre pressures did you settle on?

Track Day next week 3 years 3 months ago #194778

The Moto-build front splitter looks very good. Was it the Elise MkII one you fitted, and how much modification was necessary?

What tyre pressures did you settle on?

I went with 28F/36R and didn't play around with the pressures because the weather was so poor.

The splitter is specific to the TF and is a very tight fit. I believe it was moulded from an original MG Sport and Racing item.
See here: https://www.moto-build.com/

This picture shows the splitter a bit better:

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Winko

Last edit: Post by Seamus.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.130 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT