Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Has the old girl still got it? 3 years 6 months ago #194291

Evening All,

Long time no speak!

Back in 2013 I brought a 2002 TF 1.8 135 for about £1,800 and it always put a smile on my face - best smiles per ££ I reckon I've ever had.....so much so we even went on a road trip around Europe in it.

Unfortunately I let the MOT run out in early 2019 and declared it SORN late 2018 so has been standing for coming up for 2 years. Financially I know she's not worth much and I've got 2 other cars not including the wife's to go to work in, enjoy on sunny days and take the little one to nursery.......but there is still a place in my heart for the MG.

I've always been keen on cars and like to get my hands dirty and have always wanted an aftermarket exhaust and like some tasteful modifications - the MG seems like the perfect candidate, or has she had her day?

It's been on my parents driveway (rubbish parking around our way) since I declared it SORN late 2018. It's on 69k - never had a replacement headgasket to my knowledge and doesn't loose coolant apart from some pesky interior pipes which I replaced one winter.

The last MOT advisories back in 2019 were "slight corrosion on brake flexi ferrual/s" and "slight play in nsr and osr shock lower bush/bearing". There is a lot of rust but how much it is cosmetic over structural I couldn't say, also a touch mouldy on the inside but it wouldn't be the first time - easily cleaned up with some vinegar, cleaning fluid and water. The roof is water tight.

I've given the interior a clean and have a fan heater in there on a smart socket so it gets an hour or so a day just to keep it dry from my cleaning. I've also taken a couple of wheels off and had a look plus got the wirebrush and hammerite kurust to it in places. The old battery is on charge but I realise this may be totally unfeasible. It was left with the fuel light well and truly on so hoping minimal fuel/jelly in the tank - going to put 10 litres of fresh unleaded in once the battery/new battery is up to charge. Then the moment of truth....if she starts up (she never let me down in the past) may the plan commence...bring her to relatively good health and get through an MOT.

My plans are the 16" 11 spoke alloys all round (black) as it'll need tyres anyway and then a Daytona or TT exhaust.

Any thoughts much appreciated....have I lost my marbles, igniting an old flame, good money after bad....or is it too little too late?

I've attached some pics for reference.

Somehow forgot the front

The following user(s) said Thank You: Leigh Ping

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by richardgr88.

Has the old girl still got it? 3 years 6 months ago #194316

Welcome back, there is plenty of life left in her still.
She looks cared for in the past, there is a rose jointed alternator adjustor hiding in there.
Talking of which, I would take the drive belt off, check the alternator is still free and then fit a new belt.
Also use the highest octane fuel you can find for a couple of tank fulls to boost the fuel that's in there already. Tesco "super" is 99 ron.

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.
The following user(s) said Thank You: richardgr88

Has the old girl still got it? 3 years 6 months ago #194319

Thanks for your response talking cars :-)

The rose jointed alternator adjustor was me in the work car part after the belt went on me on the way to work some time ago.....made it safely to the work car park and returned the next day with the tools, parts and belt.

The good news today is that she lives! First start up in 2 years. 10 litres of fresh fuel (albeit not premium, she can have premium on her first visit to the petrol station following the MOT) and the old battery that has been on trickle charge for a few days.

I reckon having done a couple of 3 point turns on the driveway so not to poison my parents with carbon monoxide in their own living room with the exhaust pointing straight at the air vents on the living room wall!....that the brake pads and discs will be salvageable as the rust has really come off so sure after a few gentle stops they'll be back to good as they weren't long replaced before SORN'd.

Also have to say that I've used a pressure washer on many cars in the past but my goodness did this one need it and a mighty good job it did. Also collected my black 11 spoke 16" wheels - really liking the black alloys although they need some new tyres which will be happening later in the week.

Have also been very naughty and ordered a Daytona exhaust back box with quad tips (it'd need a new back box any way I reckon....at least that's what I'm telling everyone).

Some pics to wet the appetite for the start of the this project.....

Before the pressure washer

The following user(s) said Thank You: talkingcars, mowog73

Has the old girl still got it? 3 years 6 months ago #194326

Hi
Do you have any plans for dealing with the rust at the bottom of the arches, thought doesn't look too bad at the moment. Would be worth removing the front arch liners and giving the area behind a good clean as the liners trap mud etc in the cavity at the bottom leading to rust.

Cheers
Jon

Has the old girl still got it? 3 years 6 months ago #194327

Hi Jon,

Thanks for your comment :-) I know what you mean about the rust in the arches. They are on my hit list.

I’m thinking initially getting a wire brush on them and as you say giving a good clean. Then get some kurust on them and prime, paint and lacquer over the top.

Failing that approach perhaps weld in a replacement piece, grind back, fill, prime, paint and lacquer.

Today’s project was replacement exhaust.....piccies to come

Has the old girl still got it? 3 years 6 months ago #194350

Just a quick update on the project so far. Enjoy!

- The Daytona exhaust has arrived and has been fitted (still need to fit strap - job for tomorrow)
- New tyres have been fitted to my new alloys - really pleased with them, even if one is temporarily in the downstairs toilet. It seems 4 wheels with new tyres fully inflated and with new tread don't fit in the boot of the Seat Leon FR (my family friendly car)
- Some more wire brush action and kurust application has taken place.

I reckon after installing some new headlight bulbs (borrowed them for another car), fixing the exhaust strap and installing wheels we should be good for some insurance and and MOT.

Some photos and videos. Would be rude not to have a rev or so with no exhaust and the new exhaust.....the car was fully warmed up as had left it running. Also was quite pleased with the moody shot I got of the alloys in the boot - how on earth that previous backbox was passing MOT's - it had been like that for years, but then I guess as long as it wasn't blowing. Also the terrible state of the CAT connection plate! Definitely been a make a mess of the driveway day.

Is it ok to just bung up the vaccum pipe for the old exhaust valve with a screw?

Video
Video
The following user(s) said Thank You: talkingcars, Leigh Ping

Has the old girl still got it? 3 years 6 months ago #194371

Is it ok to just bung up the vaccum pipe for the old exhaust valve with a screw?

:yesnod:
David
:shrug:

Has the old girl still got it? 3 years 6 months ago #194372

Yes. I poked a piece of thick wire that was a tight fit into the rubber tube that disconnects from the valve and cable tied it out of the way.

Has the old girl still got it? 3 years 6 months ago #194381

Thanks for the responses. I have stuck a screw in it and secured it out of the way.

Just need to install 1 sidelight bulb and then we're about as MOT ready as can be, need to sort insurance but other than that MOT booked next week - fingers crossed! I will report back!

Has the old girl still got it? 3 years 6 months ago #194388

I found that fitting a front sidelight bulb is a challenge unless you can dislocate your fingers at will!

Has the old girl still got it? 3 years 6 months ago #194389

Thanks Bruce! I did manage to get it out but it’s getting it back in again that concerns me, think I took the whole holder as well as the bulb out. Will have to see....the mot wait is agonising lol

Has the old girl still got it? 3 years 6 months ago #194401

Thanks Bruce! I did manage to get it out but it’s getting it back in again that concerns me, think I took the whole holder as well as the bulb out. Will have to see....the mot wait is agonising lol

The same thing happened to me.

There is a small piece with the wires attached which goes onto the 'back' of the bulb. This slides, along with the bulb, into a sort of three-legged pyramid affair which is flimsily held inside the headlight with 3 crappy plastic welds. This is the bit that broke off. There was no way of getting it back so I just wiggled the bulb around on the end of the wires until it lined up with the lens. Very unsatisfactory. It seems to have held in place for the last 2 MOTs though. Keep the bits because when you dismantle the headlights to install halo DRLs, you can stick them back with superglue!

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.140 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT