Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Worried about gearbox 3 years 6 months ago #194174

I've just put my new mgf steps peed on the road and the car drives well except for a noise that comes from inside my gearbox pulling away and at low speeds. I can only describe the noise like a slipping alternator belt noise. The previous owner had the gearbox replaced and the correct gear oil put in and the gearbox certainly looks nice and fresh. I wonder if it is something that would settle down as the car has been stood in a garage for 2 years or is there anything that I can check or repair please?
I love the car and being older now thought that it would be a good thing to replace from my manual mgf. I realise that the gearboxes were not the best but thought that this one would be good.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Worried about gearbox 3 years 6 months ago #194200

I'd be inclined to change the oil, automatics are very fussy about it.

Worried about gearbox 3 years 6 months ago #194201

I've just put my new mgf steps peed on the road and the car drives well except for a noise that comes from inside my gearbox pulling away and at low speeds. I can only describe the noise like a slipping alternator belt noise. The previous owner had the gearbox replaced and the correct gear oil put in and the gearbox certainly looks nice and fresh. I wonder if it is something that would settle down as the car has been stood in a garage for 2 years or is there anything that I can check or repair please?
I love the car and being older now thought that it would be a good thing to replace from my manual mgf. I realise that the gearboxes were not the best but thought that this one would be good.

Hi, I also have a Steptronic with the same issue. I am trying to find out if this is a bearing (Rover had a specific repair instruction for the bearing plus special tools in order not to disassemble the whole engine), but lately I met an ex Rover engineer that claims that this is a valve (simple to change) which is not causing any issue and even if I change it, it will start again in 6 months......
I am very keen to replace that valve and let you know.
For info, I changed the gearbox oil and the filter with oil that I got from BMW as Minis of 2000 have the same gearbox (ZF1) and no change in this whistle.........

Worried about gearbox 3 years 6 months ago #194203

Im glad that Im not the only one with the problem:lol: It is reassuring to know that this may not cause a problem and I would be intrested to hear if you do change the valve.
Do you have a diagram/picture of the valve please?

Worried about gearbox 3 years 6 months ago #194206

Im glad that Im not the only one with the problem:lol: It is reassuring to know that this may not cause a problem and I would be intrested to hear if you do change the valve.
Do you have a diagram/picture of the valve please?

No I don't. I am planning to visit the repairer next week so I will let you know with the result

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.096 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT