Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

MGF HEADLAMPS MOT FAIL 3 years 7 months ago #194093

Right chaps, car failed the MOT on headlamp beam projection image both n/s and o/s lamps. Not complaining as it sailed through the last three tests.
I was going to buy second hand lamps, average cost 65.00 each side, but the condition is uncertain, although MOT passable is quoted in the adverts.
I then looked into re chroming the reflectors on the existing failed lamps at £54.00 a side plus all the faf of dismantling the headlamps, and sending the reflectors away to the platers.
So I've decided to buy new lamps at £290 for both with the justification that the original lamps lasted twenty years therefore hopefully I might get the same out of these....
Now has anyone gone down the re chroming route and where they satisfied with the results, and how much was it so I can compare the costs?
regards

Please Log in to join the conversation.

MGF HEADLAMPS MOT FAIL 3 years 7 months ago #194095

The headlight reflectors are plastic, therefore cannot be chromed.
The process for plastic is metalising. this puts a high quality silver reflective mirror coating on plastic (Gold, copper, brass and bronze finishes are also available, obviously not suitable for head lights)
I had the reflectors remetalised, by a company that manufactures coffin hardware.

The OEM reflectors were done on the cheap, a vital stablising process was omitted and as such heat from the bulbs would cause the reflectors metalised coating to deteriorate and dull. Even the poxy 5w parking light bulb can generate enough heat to cause this.
You can often see a scorch mark on the reflector above the parking light.
Once done properly they should be right for many years.
As for the cost, I forget, but at a guess I think it cost @ A$60 to 70 for for a set of 4 reflectors (2x low and 2x high beam reflectors) I didn't bother with the bits that surround the reflectors as I painted them black. I prefer the look, never liked the original look, always seemed cheap and nassty to me, like some hideous Jap crap Lexus or some such.
Looks much classier and more masculine in black, always thought the lights looked too feminine and wussy in silver......a bit Hello Kitty!
Yes I know a Lexus is much more expensive than a MG, but cost doesn't always equate to class or good taste!

This reminds me...... I must update my avatar pic.
"Keep calm, relax, focus on the problem & PULL THE BLOODY TRIGGER"
The following user(s) said Thank You: Keymaster

Last edit: Post by Cobber.

MGF HEADLAMPS MOT FAIL 3 years 7 months ago #194098

.....car......

F or TF?

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

MGF HEADLAMPS MOT FAIL 3 years 7 months ago #194101

1999 F.....I have ordered a new pair of lamps, but I still want to keep the old pair for back up; so they will need the reflectors re metalised (thanks Cobber).
At worst I can keep them for parts, the lenses are glass.

MGF HEADLAMPS MOT FAIL 3 years 7 months ago #194103

Rick Buhllar is now selling MGF projector beam headlights and they look quite good.
Not sure if they are TF projectors retrofitted into F headlights or something entirely new, but if I was a F owner, I would certainly check them out. Google MG Custom car parts for info.

Sundance

MGF HEADLAMPS MOT FAIL 3 years 7 months ago #194104

I must also point out that removing the reflectors from the light body is a bastard of a job........much care needs to be taken not to break stupid plastic bits!

Last edit: Post by Cobber.

MGF HEADLAMPS MOT FAIL 3 years 7 months ago #194105

Does this Rick Buhllar have a real website for us adults, I can only find social media rubbish for the kiddies.

MGF HEADLAMPS MOT FAIL 3 years 7 months ago #194106

They addressed the reflector problem with the mk2 F. Headlamp reflectors from the later cars don't degrade like earlier ones.
David
:shrug:

Re:MGF HEADLAMPS MOT FAIL 3 years 7 months ago #194107

I have this solution now for over 6 years. Was some hussle to get it right and aligned as its a vey tight fit (was touching glass at first when aiming beam a little sideway as mot requires). Very confident with the xenon light, its a lot of light. Safer and more relaxed night rides.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G950F met Tapatalk

Re:MGF HEADLAMPS MOT FAIL 3 years 7 months ago #194108

Rick Buhllar is the guy from MG Rover custom car parts. He has a Facebook page. Here is a link...

https://www.facebook.com/MGRoverCustomCarParts

and his website www.mgrovercustomcarparts.co.uk (also a facebook page)

Sundance

Last edit: Post by talkingcars.

Re:MGF HEADLAMPS MOT FAIL 3 years 7 months ago #194113

I have this solution now for over 6 years.

The new LHD headlamps I bought for my F have gone dull in just 9 years. I'd like to know more about the conversion the xenon light conversion the Dutchman did.
Mark
95 MGF

Re:MGF HEADLAMPS MOT FAIL 3 years 7 months ago #194114

Rick Buhllar is the guy from MG Rover custom car parts. He has a Facebook page. Here is a link...

https://www.facebook.com/MGRoverCustomCarParts

and his website www.mgrovercustomcarparts.co.uk (also a facebook page)

Sundance

So no real website for adults, just that kiddie facebook shit!
Pretty hard to take any business seriously, when they can't be arsed having a real website!

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.134 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT