Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Boot lids ... high line brake light removal 3 years 8 months ago #193877

Anyone fitted a new light to a TF boot lid ? Looked on a few how to,s
Really struggling to remove an existing rear brake light from the boot lid. Anyone got any ideas , terrified of snapping it. Just does not want to move, tried carefully prying out from the outside & also pushing out from the cable port inside... without success .😶
Thanks in anticipation.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Boot lids ... high line brake light removal 3 years 8 months ago #193878

Stolen from the internet-

TF High Level brake light removal

I disconnected the wires, push the wires & grommet into the bootlid, then I used a long screwdriver from inside the bootlid close to where the grommet was & pushed the light retaining clip inwards while pushing the light out, then once that side was out the light just slid out.

Usual rules apply, it worked for me, it might be the right or wrong way but it's how I did it

In order to remove the 3rd brake light on the TF:

You open the boot
On the left hand side and inside the boot lid there is a rubber thingy where the 3-rd stop light cables are coming out
Disconnect the cables
Push them inside the rubber thingy and in the boot lid.
You may take the rubber out or not
Use a long screw driver and try to locate the 3rd stop light left plug as you cannot reach the right hand side one from that space.
Push the plug with the screw driver so that the left side of the brake light pops out.
Then it is easy to pull the right side out too.

Notice that when you unseal the stop light the leds are placed facing the opposit way!!! so that the connectors run on the front side of the brake light.

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

Boot lids ... high line brake light removal 3 years 8 months ago #193879

What worked for me was making a spacer to slide between the light and boot lid so that I could gently rock the fitting to release the rh fixing. Here's my description

https://www.the-t-bar.com/forum/9-mgf-tf-pitstop/91106-wocha-bin-doin-on-your-mg-this-week-then?start=1752#193102
The following user(s) said Thank You: sworkscooper

Last edit: Post by Gavin207. Reason: Replace link

Boot lids ... high line brake light removal 3 years 7 months ago #193880

I put some masking tape above the light on the paintwork and used a thin screwdriver to pry the light unit away from the boot. You have to lever it out about 2 inches from the end or you risk snapping the weaker end off. The ends are only the plastic lens front and have no body behind them to stiffen them up. Don't forget to unplug the wiring and pop the internal grommet out too.

Sundance

Boot lids ... high line brake light removal 3 years 7 months ago #193897

Thank you 1 & all .. working on this at the weekend so suggestions welcomed .. though have to say I've struggled to pop the clip from a very tight wire apeture with a long ish screwdriver.. from the inside ?? Stripping down for paint , then fitting it to an F ' 👍 photo to follow.
The following user(s) said Thank You: sworkscooper

Boot lids ... high line brake light removal 3 years 7 months ago #193945

TF boot lid ...All fitted
( minus the bits I don't want to be oversprayed ) but Ready for paint now .
'Sadly' it was the exact BRG colour , but with a couple of slight dings, (which whilst reflected in the bargain price ), means it requires a spray over.. heh no . - but eventually got the high line brake light removed in 1 piece, & booked on to the paint shop in a week.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Keymaster

Last edit: Post by David Aiketgate. Reason: Inserted photo

Boot lids ... high line brake light removal 3 years 7 months ago #194033

All painted , hybrid Mgf/Mg tf 😁.
# high line brake light out & back, in one piece ,
# go -faster exhaust finishers fitted,
& ...Brucie Bonus .... #the rear lights don't leak into the boot after refit post spray job. ...
Plus , a perfect paint match.....result !
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: David Aiketgate

Last edit: Post by David Aiketgate. Reason: Inserted photo
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.154 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT