Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Car engine running and car locked up? 3 years 9 months ago #193829

Strange thing happened this morning, started up the F as she has been stood a while on the drive, key in the ignition with the fob and the engine running and ticking over with the doors shut.
Went back to it after twenty minutes to find that both doors were locked,..... how the hell did that happen?
Luckily I was at home and I have a spare key which opened the door, but if that had happened away from home under some circumstance where the engine is running, and the doors are shut, I would have been snookered.
There's always something to think about on these cars!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Car engine running and car locked up? 3 years 9 months ago #193831

I think you were lucky the car was still there, and of course insurance wouldnt have paid up if car stolen with keys in ignition.

I never leave keys inside a car and close the doors, lots of cars will auto lock after some time, but didnt know the TF could do that.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Keymaster

Car engine running and car locked up? 3 years 9 months ago #193852

My guess, and it's only a guess, is that the micro switch in the drivers door is playing up and some how thought the door had been locked.

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Keymaster

Car engine running and car locked up? 3 years 8 months ago #193981

Lesson learnt there I think, car hasn't done it since, but the micro switch playing up is definitely a possibility.
I now know that the TF will auto lock if the car is unlocked with the fob and the doors are not opened, (keys in pocket) although it takes a minute or two. Didn't know the F would do it with the keys in the ignition though.
Cars are safe enough as they are parked up at the back of my long drive behind two Volvos, just a bugger to move around when I get the chance to take one for a drive :drive:

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.090 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT