Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

F completely dead - but only almost..? 3 years 9 months ago #193828

You have confirmed that there may have been a faulty battery earth, and you now have current to the alternator ,but I am just checking that the fuse rating of 60 amps is enough, my alternator fuse is 80 amp. I know this because it blew after the fuse holder had almost burnt out due to a short in the cable. This disabled the car pretty quickly on the motorway and no way was it going to start.
The alternator fuse holder is located on the bulkhead just centre left looking from the back of the car below the grill. check the cables to it for damage.
Have you tried connecting and disconnecting the battery several times in succession? I'm sure I have read this somewhere that this can cajole the SCU into remembering the frequency between the fob and the SCU; although don't ask me how.
The following user(s) said Thank You: StefanA

Please Log in to join the conversation.

F completely dead - but only almost..? 3 years 9 months ago #193832

You may need to syncronise the fob again. Normally done by pressing unlock (or is it lock :-? ) several times in quick succession.

Happens occasionaly when replacing battery.

Make sure you get a second fob programmed! It will fail when you least want it to!
The following user(s) said Thank You: StefanA

F completely dead - but only almost..? 3 years 9 months ago #193834

Well, the alternator fuse that sat there were 60A so I replaced it with a similar, but the more I google it the more about 80A I find. Strange indeed.

I'm going to try to resync the fob tomorrow (with the horn blaring) and if it doesn't work I'll renew the battery in the fob.

Thanks!

F completely dead - but only almost..? 3 years 9 months ago #193836

It's alive!
Once I realised that I had to unlock the door with key first, before pressing the lock button several times - and pretty rapidly too - it finally reacted to the fob and then started like a dream.
Still have to take a look at the starter, but that's for the winter.

Thanks a lot, boys!

F completely dead - but only almost..? 3 years 9 months ago #193837

• Bertl
  • in the middle of the midlife crisis
That's great news!

:woohoo:
as ever,
Rob
http://www.reliant-scimitar.weebly.com/

• Page: