Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

MGF Non-starting 3 years 9 months ago #193747

Hey guys,

Looking for a little help in diagnosing my 1997 MGF 1.8mpi Non-VVC not starting.

The other week I was driving when suddenly the engine died so I pulled to the side of the road and it wouldn't restart, so far I've narrowed it down to not getting fuel.

So some key points:
- Turns over but doesn't start
- I have spark, but I have changed the HT leads, distributor cap & rotor anyways as these were looking a little old, the spark plugs are also less than 1000kms old.
- Tried pushing in the inertia switch, also bypassing made no change.
- Would fire with a spray of easy start but immediately die again.
- Changed the crank sensor, no change.
- Fuel pump seems to be working, I can hear it going when ign is on.
- Fuel filter is nearly new, and isn't blocked, I pulled the outlet line and fuel comes out when ign on.

My next step is to purchase a set of noid lights to check if the injectors are getting a pulse signal.
I'd assume they're not getting a signal as if they were, surely the car would start? And if they're not, what would the next step be?

Couple of things I'm thinking it could be:
- Fuel pressure low (any easy way to test this?)
- ECU/Immobiliser
- Injectors stuffed (if one was stuffed, would that affect them all?)

I do have a T300 programmer tool but for whatever reason I can't get it to connect, I've only used it to program key fobs in the past.

This is pretty new to me and I'm learning as I go so any help would be appreciated.
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by cairnsys. Reason: Inserted pics into post

MGF Non-starting 3 years 9 months ago #193762

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Starting with basics - is there fuel in it, not just on the gauge but actually in the tank.

James

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

MGF Non-starting 3 years 9 months ago #193766

Yep it has a full tank, I had just filled it up the day before.

MGF Non-starting 7 months 4 weeks ago #203901

Hi.
Sadly I have the same problem with my 1997 non vvc 1.8 MGF.
Mine did not break down, it just decided to never start again after changing the iffy ignition switch (lights would flicker touching the key and would fail to start or stop after a second, cycling the immobilizer would get it to work sometimes).
So also have spark, fuel pump primes and feeds under cranking, plugs dry= no fuel injection.
This system has a live feed to the injectors and 2 wires return to the ECU (middle row top and next one down), when the ECU earths these the injectors fire. Used a probe to do so, they clicked and car would attempt to start. Triggering the injectors in test mode via the ODB port also did this.
So the injectors work and the car will run when they do so, but the ECU will not tell them to fire.
Lucas 5AS can shut off these so thought this was at fault sent it to ( https://www.technozen-electronics.co.uk/mg-rover-5as-alarm-ecu-services/ ) and he reports it tests ok, so sent him the ECU in case it had lost pairing and that has also tested ok with no faults or lost communication reported.
Have changed engine relay, fuel relay, coil, leads, cap (had some corrosion), rotor arm, fuel filter also tested fuel cut off and removed and cleaned crank sensor (though will be no spark if this fails-have spark). Disconnected fuel line attached a rubber hose into a 2l bottle, on prime it filled the hose, with a 2 second rank had 1 1/4" of fuel in the bottle and good solid flow.
Onlt things I have now not done are a new wiring loom, new fuel pump or an exorcism.
What the hell is going on?
Can anyone help?

MGF Non-starting 7 months 4 weeks ago #203903

Would you consider ringing the garage where you filled up and ask them if they have had any other complaints, very suspicious that you have a new full tank and a fuel related issue.

MGF Non-starting 7 months 4 weeks ago #203907

You haven't filled up with diesel by mistake?
I know this shouldn't be possible with filler neck restrictions but it does happen.

MGF Non-starting 7 months 4 weeks ago #203908

Just noticed that the original topic is 3 years old...
Please ignore my reply.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.128 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT