• Page:

Topic

Faded Rear MG Badge 3 years 9 months ago #193722

• g4wam's Avatar Topic Author
  • g4wam
  • Time served MGer
  • Time served MGer
Hi all,
just wondered if anyone out there has had the need to remove there old faded MG badge on the boot lid of a TF ?
Is the removal pain free- I see that there are 2 lugs to dislodge

thanks

Mike

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Faded Rear MG Badge 3 years 9 months ago #193723

I chickened out has I believe there is a adhesive backing behind the badge that may hold it tight...not sure if there is a how to on here without clicking through...I just put a Insert in instead leaving the original chrome backing in place...there is a mine field of sizes but I believe the tf is a 70mm badge..I believe the method could of involved a hairdryer to soften adhesive and dental floss to work through the adhesive backing

Last edit: Post by mgtfbluestreak.

Faded Rear MG Badge 3 years 9 months ago #193724

I have removed both badges on my TF and as long as you are careful it is fairly straightforward. The rear one is the easier of the two as the front is in a slight recess . If you use a hair drier to soften the adhesive backing it eventually will come off . Using fine fishing line as you would flossing teeth ( if you have any ....teeth that is 😄) and using a bit of WD as a lube on the line it is posible to saw through . As mgtfbluestreak has said the less painless way is to buy the gell inserts from MG Mania . I've got them on front and rear and they are great . :yesnod:
John

Faded Rear MG Badge 3 years 9 months ago #193725

I don't have much hair but I still have a hair dryer....nicked it off my sister years ago for drying paint quicker on my arch repairs....:beer:
Attachments:

Faded Rear MG Badge 3 years 9 months ago #193728

Well , as I approach my 67th birthday this Wednesday, I too have a hair dryer for the same purpose as I am a self confessed slap head .
Apologies for digressing from the post topic g4wam . :spank:

John

Last edit: Post by sworkscooper.

Faded Rear MG Badge 3 years 9 months ago #193736

• g4wam's Avatar Topic Author
  • g4wam
  • Time served MGer
  • Time served MGer
Thanks John and Bluestreak for your replies.

regarding the inserts-do they stick over the existing faded badge?

Mike

Faded Rear MG Badge 3 years 9 months ago #193737

Hi Mike. Yes the inserts fit inside where the faded bit is . All I would advise is that the original badge tends to get a bit flake so try as best as possible to remove all of it . You should be left with a shiny outline of the MG logo , then make sure there is no grease or flakey bits left . When you are happy and ready to apply the gel badge I always heat up the area as it seems to give better adhesion.. I've had them on for about four years and they are still like new .
John

Faded Rear MG Badge 3 years 9 months ago #193738

Yes John went for the posh option on his tf....but I went for cheaper alternative of metal stickers....which were very cheap...and still look like new after the 6years I fitted them...picture below of the black and chrome sticker fitted.

Attachments:

Faded Rear MG Badge 3 years 9 months ago #193739

I didn't know there was a metal alternative. They look smart .

Faded Rear MG Badge 3 years 9 months ago #193741

Or you could just remove all the faded paint, polish the badge up, and job done, no more faded paint.....
Attachments:

Faded Rear MG Badge 3 years 9 months ago #193742

I bought some enamel ones which were nice about £8 each they were blue and chrome.. which are stuck on my toolbox.
Attachments:

Faded Rear MG Badge 3 years 9 months ago #193750

Interview with Peter Stevens ( Design director at MG ) in practical classics this month - apparently the fading MG badges on the later TFs and other models was due to them being sourced from Turkey as part of the cost saving at the time. From new apparently they always faded quickly.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Keymaster

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.128 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT