Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Factory fitted coolant alarm modification - TF 2004 3 years 10 months ago #193591

Hi All

My TF has the factory low coolant alarms fitted. However, I do find that only relying on the dash light to warn you of coolant loss may be attention limited. I was wondering if anyone has modified the installation to incorporate a buzzer, sound signal, to enhance the attention getting ability.

If someone has undertake a mod of this natureI would be interested in the How-To.

Thanks

Robert

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Factory fitted coolant alarm modification - TF 2004 3 years 10 months ago #193593

Hi
Mine is also a 2004 and I thought that it had the alarm as warning light came on and off with ignition as it should.
Upon closer inspection the coolant bottle had no sensor float,it came out the factory without one and the wiring neatly cable tied out the way.(MG Rover :rant: :rant: :bang: :bang: :spank: :spank: )
I had to buy a new sensor expansion bottle and all works well.
Please just check yours as it would be a bummer to rely on something that will never work as intended.

Kevin
The following user(s) said Thank You: Fisher

Factory fitted coolant alarm modification - TF 2004 3 years 10 months ago #193595

It shouldn't be difficult to fit a buzzer.
Hook up the + lead of the buzzer to the warning light feed + and the - lead of the buzzer too ground.
"Keep calm, relax, focus on the problem & PULL THE BLOODY TRIGGER"

Factory fitted coolant alarm modification - TF 2004 3 years 10 months ago #193599

Hi VX54NEW - Full installation including coolant bottle sensor fitted and does alaym when coolant low.

Cobber - That is the problem. look through all the wiring diagrams and cannot find the coolant wiring code. As you say, once I know that wiring should be very simple.

Regards
Robert

Factory fitted coolant alarm modification - TF 2004 3 years 10 months ago #193600

On the rear of the instrument panel the bulbs push into a copper track circuit board. It is possible to solder onto these tracks and tap off wiring so it should be possible to add a buzzer if you wish. The factory fitted alarms use the automatic gearbox warning light for the low coolant alarm. It may be worth checking to see if the wiring colours are the same as the stepspeed gearbox alarm for your low coolant sensor.
Here is a picture from the rear of the instruments so you can see what I mean. I think the automatic gearbox connection is the terminal next to the wires I have connected up on this unit without a screw in, it says "gear" above it.. It is possible to add an extra wire to this with a crimp on eyelet connector as I have done to the terminals on the picture. Use a common negative connection for the return current to your buzzer, also possible to pick up from the rear of the panel.

Sundance

Last edit: Post by SundanceUK.

Factory fitted coolant alarm modification - TF 2004 3 years 10 months ago #193607

Sundance,
what work are you actually carrying out thee?
what is the yellow wire doing by the way if you dont mind me asking

Mike

Factory fitted coolant alarm modification - TF 2004 3 years 10 months ago #193612

Testing the speedo unit with a pulse generator. There is a write up on it somewhere on here. I mapped out the instruments and got frequencies for known speed and rpm for the instruments as I was toying with replacing the dials. It would enable me to calibrate the speedo and tachometer on the bench.

Factory fitted coolant alarm modification - TF 2004 3 years 10 months ago #193619

….That is the problem. look through all the wiring diagrams and cannot find the coolant wiring code. As you say, once I know that wiring should be very simple.

Robert

Can you see the colours on the plug on the sensor on the coolant bottle.

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

Factory fitted coolant alarm modification - TF 2004 3 years 10 months ago #193621

HI TC will have a look tomorrow.
Regards

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.111 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT