Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Window won't work. 3 years 10 months ago #193313

Decided to treat my car to an oil change today -a nice simple job... Why do they never turn out that way?
I lowered the drivers window to see to reverse the car on to the ramps but now the oil change is done and I've come to put the window back up it doesn't want to know!.

I've so far, swapped the switches over and confirmed they are ok, removed the door card and checked the connections. When I press the down switch I can hear and feel the motor kick, however there's nothing at all with the up.

So my next thought is maybe the Pektron relay - however before I start ordering, does anyone know if they could fail only on the up operation or would it be affect both up and down?
All the relays were replaced a couple of years ago when the horn failed so they are quite new so I'm not confident its this but I think its my next least expensive thing to try before thinking about a new window motor unless anyone has some other suggestions?

Should have keep fit windows ..they're the future!!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Window won't work. 3 years 10 months ago #193316

Check www.technozen-electronics.co.uk

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chris P Dash

Window won't work. 3 years 10 months ago #193320

These relays are really quite cheap to buy of you know how to solder.

Sundance

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/non-latching-relays/9156613/?sra=pmpn
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chris P Dash

Window won't work. 3 years 10 months ago #193325

Thanks for the links, looking at the technozen web site it looks as though a faulty control relay could produce the effect of the window only operating in one direction. Slightly concerning though as I replaced them all a couple of years ago but maybe it was just a defective part?
A really useful website!

I still have the relays I removed previously and got a few days off from tonight so will dust off the multimeter and see what happens.

Just wondering...I noticed the Pektron unit has a relay for the drivers window but not the passenger window - is there a reason for that? is there a relay for the passenger window located somewhere else?

Window won't work. 3 years 10 months ago #193341

A quick update.

With the help of the information on the Technozen website I was able to meter the pins on the relay and found one side to be open circuit.

I purchased a full set of relays a couple of years ago and a colleague who's a bit of a whizz with the soldering iron swapped them for me.
However when I looked more closely I noticed the window relay had a different batch number to the rest and then had a vague recollection that my colleague told me one of the relays had already been replaced so he'd left that one.
Fortunately I'd kept the relays he'd removed and sure enough there was still a brand new one in there, so I swapped that out this morning and hey presto! the window now closes.. :woohoo:
The following user(s) said Thank You: David Aiketgate, cairnsys, sworkscooper, SundanceUK

Window won't work. 3 years 10 months ago #193355

The passenger side relay is controlled directly from the switch. The reason the drivers side window is not is because it has the automatic down function from a single press of the switch. I think older models, probably "F"s may have auto up and down, but this was removed for safety reasons.

Sundance
The following user(s) said Thank You: Fisher, Chris P Dash

Window won't work. 3 years 10 months ago #193356

Fs only have autodown too.:yesnod:
David
:shrug:

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.133 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT