Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

MGTF clutch release arm. 3 years 10 months ago #193252

I've read various forum messages but I'm still unsure if I'm understanding where the clutch arm seizing problem is.
This is a picture of the arm on my 2009 TF. As I'm understanding it there is a lower tube section which passes through the gearbox aluminium casing, within this tube is the shaft on the arm. Does the seizing problem happen between the tube and the shaft?
I've got the engine out and whilst I have no problems with heavy clutch pedals I just want to ensure I nip future problems in the bud. I did a little testing today and noticed that if I pull the lever to effectively take the clutch arm away from the clutch the outer tube moves in the gearbox casing, is this correct? I'm thinking if the tube is loose in the gearbox casing then eventually it will wear through the casing. I'm thinking if I've gone this far then it's not that much more work to split the gearbox off and fit one the MG mania modified arms with the grease nipple fitted.
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

MGTF clutch release arm. 3 years 10 months ago #193253

You've got me wondering now. Mine moves in exactly the same way. I assumed that the whole lever (that is black in your picture) was one piece. I wait to be corrected :-)

MGTF clutch release arm. 3 years 10 months ago #193256

Just noted it is a 2009 TF, so may be different to the ones I have done, but it looks identical!

No tube section in the gearbox casting.

Whole black section in your photo is the arm, and it siezes in the aluminium gearbox. There is a small seal on the top of the gearbox, where the arm enters, but this does little.

The clutch fork holds everything in place, so the arm cant pull out.

There is also a bearing inside the bell housing that the very end of the arm locates in.

Last edit: Post by G0RSQ.

MGTF clutch release arm. 3 years 10 months ago #193260

Thanks Gorsq that's a great help. I don't have a problem. Would you recommend a little WD40 where the shaft enters the box or is it better to leave well alone.

Phil

MGTF clutch release arm. 3 years 10 months ago #193261

Here's a clever idea I saw a while ago.

Can't do any harm, if you want to be super cautious.

If the car is used regularly then the arm won't seize, it's periods of inactivity that allow corrosion to build up between the arm and the bell housing.
David
:shrug:
Attachments:

MGTF clutch release arm. 3 years 10 months ago #193263

There are two bushings that the clutch arm rotates in, one at the top of the gearbox housing, the other one within the bell housing at the bottom of the arm. The clutch arm seizes to the bushing, probably the top one more so than the bottom one. There is supposed to be a seal above the top bushing. I think this picture shows you pretty good how dirty the clutch arm and bushing can get.

Mark
95 MGF
Attachments:

MGTF clutch release arm. 3 years 10 months ago #193268

My car was off the road for 2 years while I swapped subframes and other stuff. The arm was fine when I got back on the road but failed 2 weeks later while I was driving!

In my experience the arm goes through the gearbox bell housing and there is no sleeve around it, maybe it was changed later on.

I wouldn't use WD40, it dries out and becomes sticky attracting dust to build up. Regular drops of light machine oil might work but go easy, you don't want to get oil on the clutch.

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

MGTF clutch release arm. 3 years 10 months ago #193284

Thank you all. Good advice.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.110 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT