Sign In   Register

Topic

Underbonnet Refurbishing 4 years 2 weeks ago #192850

• SundanceUK's Avatar Topic Author
  • SundanceUK
  • Senior MGer
  • Senior MGer
  • MG TF 160 owner in Staffordshire
Making good use of my month or longer at home to do some work on Shadow.
I decided I was fed up with the rust under the ABS modulator bracket, so decided to sort it out while I have the brake calipers removed.
So all brake fluid removed and pipes removed from the master cylinder to the ABS unit. Then the ABS unit and bracket can be removed to show the unsightly and if left untreated, problematic corrosion!

Next is to wire brush the rust and flaky paint off and treat with rust killer. I used Loctite rust treatment this time. Its got to stand for 24 hours before painting, so I decided to do the battery shelf too.

I was not too happy with the fact that my powder coated brake servo stiffening bracket had corroded after being on the car for only a couple of years so that also came off and was sanded down, one thing leads to another, so I might as well paint up the brake servo and bracket too. So they were stripped down and cleaned up. It was at this point that I noticed some rather nasty deep rooted corrosion on the brake servo......

So this was brushed up with a wire brush, and my worst fears were realised, the rust had actually eaten into the servo case and perforated it! As the servo works on a vacuum, this is now going to have to be replaced!

So its going to be an expensive day tomorrow, as I need new brake discs all round, a new brake servo and a few other bits and pieces such as pipe clips and fasteners... at least I have the paint ready to paint the ABS and battery shelf in stock!

To be continued......

Sundance

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Underbonnet Refurbishing 4 years 1 week ago #192856

• SundanceUK
  • Senior MGer
  • Senior MGer
A productive day today, in between bouts of showers - not what you want when you are painting.
Anyhow got the car all masked up - sorry for the blurry pic..

Then the ABS tray and battery tray were painted with my correctly matched LEF code paint.

Battery tray..

And ABS Tray...

And while I was at it, decided to spruce up the spare wheel well...

And since my brake servo brace needed a repaint, decided to do this in X-Power grey too!

Now with the masking removed it looks a whole lot better!

Just got to wait for my new brake servo to arrive from MGFnTFbitz but I will start rebuilding tomorrow once the paint has had time to harden off. Then I can concentrate on fitting my new brake discs, calipers and pads all round.

Sundance
The following user(s) said Thank You: David Aiketgate, Fisher

Last edit: Post by SundanceUK.

Underbonnet Refurbishing 4 years 1 week ago #192857

Hi Sundance
Who supplied the paint?

Robert

Underbonnet Refurbishing 4 years 1 week ago #192859

• SundanceUK
  • Senior MGer
  • Senior MGer
Hi,

My local body shop go it mixed for me a couple of years ago, so I have been waiting for an excuse to use it.
I got 2 cans of paint and a can of clear lacquer.
Be careful if you need to order LEF code paint as there are 4 different shades, as you can see from the aerosol label mine has the yellow tint. My TF was registered early in 2004, so it could be said that that paint code was in use at that time.
I had to replace a door handle last year and the X power grey shade was a bit different on the second hand one I acquired and it is noticeable, so try to get your paint accurately specced out if ordering.

Sundance
The following user(s) said Thank You: Fisher

Underbonnet Refurbishing 4 years 1 week ago #192864

Hi Sundance
Who supplied the paint?

Robert

There is a company in Hove, East Sussex, that do rattle cans by mail order based on your paint code.

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Fisher

Underbonnet Refurbishing 4 years 1 week ago #192865

Making good use of my month or longer at home to do some work on Shadow.....

It's lookin' good.

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SundanceUK

Underbonnet Refurbishing 4 years 1 week ago #192867

Thanks Sundance and talkingcars

Robert

Underbonnet Refurbishing 4 years 1 week ago #192870

Looks great - inspired me to sort my underbonnet out before I load it up with batteries... Have ordered some JFV paint and rust-killer so will give it a go.

Underbonnet Refurbishing 4 years 1 week ago #192872

• SundanceUK
  • Senior MGer
  • Senior MGer
Latest update, a great day to be out working on the car and really enjoyed it!

First up my replacement Brake servo arrived from MGFnTFbitz, duly stripped, rust treated and painted. I already have painted the mounting bracket from my old servo, so will use that when it goes back on tomorrow.

My ABS modulator was also refitted, along with a new powder coated bracket that I have had on the shelf waiting for this day! Also the VIN plate was riveted back on...

Also fitted was the brake servo brace, good time to fit now with the servo removed as the nuts are a pig to get at when fitting to a car with the servo in situ...

Also my new brake discs arrived today along with the pads, I decided to fit plain discs this time, as the drilled and grooved discs are well expensive and I am not 100 percent convinced that they work any better than solid ones. The drilled and grooved ones certainly give off a bit more noise and a slight vibration on the pedal, you could call it a bit of a "hum" from the disc.
Anyway these new Pagid discs are coated, so should stay nice and blingy for longer. Also went on very true, only 0.1 mm out with the clock on both sides!

Then my refurbished front calipers went on and the brakes pads fitted. Looking good!

Lastly I moved the front slam panel back about 5mm, its mounted on elongated or enlarged holes so there is room to jiggle it about a bit, reason being I am hoping to reduce the gap between the front bumper or nose cone and the bonnet front edge. Hopefully this will do the trick.

Tomorrow should see the servo brace and master cylinder back in and the lights and front bumper back on! Then I can begin on replacing the rear brake discs, calipers and pads...

Sundance
The following user(s) said Thank You: cairnsys

Last edit: Post by SundanceUK.

Underbonnet Refurbishing 4 years 1 week ago #192890

• SundanceUK
  • Senior MGer
  • Senior MGer
More or less finished off the refitting of the parts today.
Brake servo fitted and piped up...

Rear brake discs and calipers fitted...

and then I bled the whole system and could not believe my lock when setting the handbrake. I backed off the cables on the adjuster behind the lever before fitting the rear calipers. Once the calipers were fitted and bled I found that the handbrake was set bang on!

Then I put the front bumper back on and dropped the car back onto its wheels.

Finally I decided to clean the contacts on my rear lights, as I noticed the contacts were very dull when I had the lights out last month to re-tint. I used a fibre stick cleaner to brighteen them up.

I must say the new rear calipers are great, the handbrake has never been so positive, even before the pads and discs are bedded in.

Next will be cleaning the engine bay out as its full of rusty dust from when I had the subframes treated last December.

Sundance

Underbonnet Refurbishing 4 years 1 week ago #192891

Hi Sundance. After all that work and it's looking good by the way , take the weight off and get yourself a little drinkie ....you deserve one ...or two !
Stay safe .
John

Underbonnet Refurbishing 4 years 1 week ago #192892

• SundanceUK
  • Senior MGer
  • Senior MGer
Thanks John,
Just got me feet up now and an ice cold bottle of Cobra beer!
May have a day off the spanners tomorrow and chillax a bit!

Laters

Sundance

Time to create page: 0.143 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT