Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

MG TF Rear grille and heat shield. 4 years 19 hours ago #192797

Sorry, I don't have a picture but I think people will know what I am talking about.

Ever since I've had my TF, the rear grille in the bumper has been missing. The front and side grilles were all black, rusty and generally skanky!

I've been spending a few hours during the nice weather with tin snips and some stainless steel mesh and have so far replaced the front and side grilles and cut pieces for the boot-lid. So far, so good.

Now I'm looking at the rear grille. Instead of seeing my shiny exhaust, I can only see the bottom half of the rear heat shield. My question is:

Can I cut away the bottom part of the heatshield? Undoing the bolts doesn't look like an option. It is filthy and doesn't seem to have any purpose behind the grille. Or does it?...

Please Log in to join the conversation.

MG TF Rear grille and heat shield. 4 years 15 hours ago #192801

Your rear bumper mesh was missing ever since it was made, it was never fitted to any car from the factory.

I wouldn't remove any of the heat shield as it protects the bumper.

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.
The following user(s) said Thank You: BruceTF135

MG TF Rear grille and heat shield. 3 years 11 months ago #192815

Thanks for the info and the advice, TC. It's interesting that they had no rear grille as standard. I see so many with a rear grille, all shaped around the lashing point, I assumed they were standard.

MG TF Rear grille and heat shield. 3 years 11 months ago #192816

I also had to cut about 10cm of the heatshield as it had contact to the toyosports backbox. Last year I replaced the heatshield (the original one was broken) and did it the same way.
Regards
The following user(s) said Thank You: BruceTF135

MG TF Rear grille and heat shield. 3 years 11 months ago #192817

Definatly fitted to TF's as standard. Both my 2002 and 2003 had them. Outer framework shaped to go around the towing eye.

MG TF Rear grille and heat shield. 3 years 11 months ago #192819

Definatly fitted to TF's as standard. Both my 2002 and 2003 had them. Outer framework shaped to go around the towing eye.

My pre-production 2002 TF didn't.

MG TF Rear grille and heat shield. 3 years 11 months ago #192820

The heat shield on my mk1 F was looking really tatty so got a make over with an ex chrome kitchen bin being repurposed and riveted on top of it.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.118 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT