Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Radiator cooling fans 4 years 3 weeks ago #192806

I was concerned that the fans on my 160 were faulty, as I had never heard them kick in, I tested them and they work fine, on my early 2004 car, the engine bay fan is switched separately from the rad fan, with the sensor in the boot controlling the engine bay fan and the water temp sensor on the engine block controlling the rad fan.
Since I tested them 3 years ago, I have actually had them turn on under driving conditions, this being driving around single track roads in the Peak District on a hot summer evening.
I know the 160 has a higher threshold for temperature than the 135 or 115 cars, possibly due to the extra plumbing involved with the oil cooler, but my temp needle stays well steady at the usual position. I think the complicated water circuit, involving moving the coolant from the front to the rear of the car allows the coolant to radiate a lot more than a normal front engine mounted car does, hence the fans not running up as often as they would in a normal car.
Suggest when performing an annual service, while the inspection hatch is off, that you test the fans by unplugging the sensor on the block and checking that they kick in ok.
Also check that the fan is free to turn every now and then, as I have known small stones that have flicked up and jammed the fan blades before now.
If you do not have one one, then fit a low coolant alarm, probably the most important mod that any F or TF owner could do. Coolant low level and system leaks need to be caught at the earliest signs of manifestation!

Sundance

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Here's a puzzle - AirCon Radiator cooling fan hack 3 years 10 months ago #193373

My aircon doesn't work - never has yet - no gas. Compressor is noisy screechy too but I have a new one to fit.
BUT- fans do work - but don't come on at all - which made for a hairy trip over the weekend as Oil Temp got to 120!

I opened up the relay and closing the contact DOES switch on the cooling fan on low (in picture @ 9 o'clock).
In effect connecting the blue and white cable to brown sends battery power to one of the fans.
Likewise closing the 6 o'clock contact sends battery power on brown to fan via purple and white and fan runs on high speed.

For now I want to be able to fit a switch using this relay so which wire in YWB100800-3 does what?

In other words how can I close the contacts using the 5 wires in YWB100800-3 ?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by David Aiketgate. Reason: Inserted photos
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.090 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT