Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

E10 petrol 4 years 4 days ago #192761

Is it OK to use the new E10 petrol on my TF 135?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

E10 petrol 4 years 4 days ago #192762

Hi . This question was going to be raised by myself at my club meet , which was cancelled. As far as I am aware the Kseries engine is on a list that can't use it . The list which was on line , had a humungus number of cars that won't run on it so us F n TF owners are in good company . I believe that fuel suppliers are going to continue to produce E5 for the foreseeable future in this country at least . There may be more knowledgable folk on here who may know different.
John

E10 petrol 4 years 4 days ago #192763

Where I live in Canada, we have had ethanol-laden petrol for 10+ years. Petrol here needs to average 5% ethanol and can be as high as 10%. In the past 9 years I have experienced no issues related to using petrol containing ethanol. I have also asked a friend that used to work for MG Rover and he tells me that the F is E10 tolerant.
Mark
95 MGF
The following user(s) said Thank You: cairnsys, sworkscooper

Last edit: Post by mowog73.

E10 petrol 4 years 3 days ago #192765

The RAC website says:
The consequence of putting E10 fuel in an incompatible vehicle depends on the vehicle/engine variant and how much fuel has been put in.
It may cause some pre-detonation (‘pinking’), and perhaps a little rough running and poor cold starting, but it shouldn't be a disaster for the driver.
Simply top up with the correct fuel suitable for the vehicle as soon as possible when around a third to half the tank is used.

There has also been discussion in Historic vehicle circles about Ethanol for quite a while. The Federation of British Historic Vehicle Clubs has an interesting page about this https://www.fbhvc.co.uk/fuels , the main issue is that the fuel line components in many older Historic vehicles aren't compatible with Ethanol, but replacing older flexible fuel pipes with modern materials generally addresses this. The main issue for Historic vehicles will be fuel degradation of stored fuel, and increased risk of vaporisation and fuel locking where fuel lines get hot. i've seen posts elsewhere of this being addressed by installing heat shields or re-routing pipework and using the car more often!
The following user(s) said Thank You: sworkscooper

E10 petrol 4 years 3 days ago #192769

The K series should run on E10 but for the few extra pence per litre I use 97-99 ron "super" when E5 isn't available.

(BP and Sainsburys offer 97 ron, Shell is 98 and Tesco is 99)

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

E10 petrol 4 years 2 days ago #192773

Where I live, even Super has ethanol. The refineries have reduced the amount of octane in the fuel from the refinery and make up for the octane reduction by adding ethanol to all grades of fuel because ethanol is a cheap octane booster.
Mark
95 MGF

E10 petrol 4 years 2 days ago #192776

The K series should run on E10 but for the few extra pence per litre I use 97-99 ron "super" when E5 isn't available....………….

Where I live, even Super has ethanol. The refineries have reduced the amount of octane in the fuel from the refinery and make up for the octane reduction by adding ethanol to all grades of fuel because ethanol is a cheap octane booster.

Sorry maybe my post wasn't clear.

In the UK and in Europe regular fuel is 95ron and either E5 or E10.
Where 95ron isn't E5 I use the higher grade 97/98/99ron which is only ever E5.

E10 petrol 4 years 17 hours ago #192793

I understand no refineries in the UK are capable of producing E10 fuel and to import it would defeat any environmental benefits you might get from using it. So we probably have a year or so before E10 comes.

E10 petrol 3 years 11 months ago #192800

Interesting read at https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/870089/impact-assessment-measures-for-introduction-of-e10-fuel-stream.pdf

it is worth noting that E5 is anything over 5.5% and under 10% ethonal

however from page 5

10. Introducing E10 will add to fuel costs paid by motorists. Moving from E5 to E10 is estimated to reduce pump price petrol costs by 0.2 pence per litre. However, as the energy content of the fuel will also decrease, motorists will have to buy more litres of fuel. Overall fuel costs for petrol cars are therefore estimated to increase by 1.6% as a result of moving from E5 to E10. (More details on these calculations can be found in annex C; but note that the estimated GHG saving of 1.8% already takes into account the impact of the lower energy content).

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.183 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT