Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Non starting k series 4 years 1 week ago #192717

This a polite request to hijack the MGf / TF forum with a R25 question in the hope the collected K series wisdom on here can help me find the problem on my sons Streetwise. Mods, feel free to remove this if you feel its is inappropriate.
i posted this on the MG Rover forum a dew days agob, but its a bit quiet over there recently. So here goes.....

I parked up my son's 2003 1.4L streetwise the other day and all was fine. A few days later i went to move it and it started, but engine was very lumpy so i stopped it and thought maybe the battery was in need of a charge or possibly a damp set of electrics that needed drying out. Charged up the battery and reconnected it and tried to start the car. The immobilizer went off fine and the red led stopped flashing, fuel pump made its normal priming noises for a few seconds. But whilst the car spins over fine it just will not fire up. So far these are the checks i have done:
Connected up a PSAN, no faults stored and the immobilizer says it has sync'd with the engine OK.
Removed two plugs one from each coil and i get a spark on both plugs.
Undid the fuel filter union that goes to the orange union on the inlet manifold and i get fuel pumping out when the ignition is switched on.
Fuel gauge is just above the red line.
Changed the camshaft sensor with one from my other 1.4L R25
Plugs were damp when removed for the spark test and quickly dried out so i assume they were damp with fuel.
Checked fuses in engine bay, all ok.

Now i am at a total loss as to what to check next.

One suggestion was to add some more fuel, i added 5L, but no improvement. My next plan is to put the PSCAN back on and select as many sensors as possible and see what happens when i crank it over. It would be great if i could narrow it down to fuel or electrics.
One thing i will add is that i put both Pektron fobs on the same keyring after initially parking up the car. That is why i checked the imobiliser status with the PSCAN as i was wondering if it was getting upset having two fobs in close proximity to the detector circuit. I tried again with a single fob, but no change.
Any suggestions on a fault finding process would be welcome.
Thanks,
Nigel

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Non starting k series 4 years 1 week ago #192718

Hi . How old are the spark plugs . My Niece had a similar problem with her car ( not an MG/Rover ) but when I removed the plugs and checked the spark , they were also wet . I dried them did the test and refitted them but the car would not even cough let alone start . New plugs fitted and hey presto , running . They are an often forgotten item . Just a thought .
John

Non starting k series 4 years 1 week ago #192719

Good shout John. The plug age is unknown and when i did the spark check i just pulled the lead off and fitted two plugs i had to hand. I did not pull out the fitted plugs. I have now fitted a new set of NGK and it did try to start. Next i removed the air filter pipe at the TB and cranked it again with full throttle. It spluttered a lot, bit eventually started, albeit a bit lumpy. I gave it some throttle and let it warm up. So far so good. Still no fault codes showing.
Many thanks, Nigel
The following user(s) said Thank You: David Aiketgate

Non starting k series 4 years 1 week ago #192720

giving it a feed of new plug leads might be called for, and while your at it check the dizzy cap any sign of corrosion or burning of the terminals bin it!
"Keep calm, relax, focus on the problem & PULL THE BLOODY TRIGGER"

Non starting k series 4 years 1 week ago #192721

New leads would be a good idea as they both look somewhat worse for wear. Looking at the ones in GSF they don't seem to be the right ones so i will pay a visit to ECP tomorrow for a set, Given its a wasted spark twin coil setup it is a distributorless ignition system.so no need to worry about a cap.
Nigel

Non starting k series 4 years 1 week ago #192733

…….and while your at it check the dizzy cap any sign of corrosion or burning of the terminals bin it!

The last K series to have a distributor was the mk1 MPi, the mk1 VVC didn't.

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.089 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT