Sign In   Register

Topic

Cambelts ? 4 years 1 month ago #192653

• jelly's Avatar Topic Author
  • jelly
  • Time served MGer
  • Time served MGer
Hi I have two cars needing cam belts both cars don't get used much so it is time more than mileage one is a Fiat coupe 20v turbo which is murder probably only done 5k since last change I'm rating this as a 10 out of 10 job and a 160 TF that as done probably 10k since last one my line of thought is do the MG as it is easier? And we might have a dry day 🤣 So question is how hard is the cam belt change on a TF160 and the 16vvc has an extra belt doesn't it? Any help advice welcome😁

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Cambelts ? 4 years 1 month ago #192654

• Bertl
  • in the middle of the midlife crisis
as ever,
Rob
http://www.reliant-scimitar.weebly.com/

Cambelts ? 4 years 3 weeks ago #192780

• jelly
  • Time served MGer
  • Time served MGer
Thanks Bertl due to current events this has took longer than expected but as self employed as in no employment which if nothing else will give me time to catch up on jobs. I have today got car on ramps and axle stands to hopefully start soon?

Cambelts ? 4 years 3 weeks ago #192787

• jelly
  • Time served MGer
  • Time served MGer
Think I need a rattle gun to undo crank bolt any body recommend one seen some ones on the bay for sixty have Hitachi drill which is brilliant but very expensive?

Cambelts ? 4 years 3 weeks ago #192789

I've got a battery one from Aldi it's got more grunt than my Bosch! But the Bosch rattle gun is much more compact so it fits in tight spaces.
"Keep calm, relax, focus on the problem & PULL THE BLOODY TRIGGER"

Last edit: Post by Cobber.

Cambelts ? 4 years 3 weeks ago #192799

I bought one of these just for this job

Clark

Most power for the money I could find. Very solid and heavy.

Used many times since.

If cost is a prioroty, get a flywheel locking tool (about £30). Need to remove starter motor though, but makes re-fitteng the belts easier.

Cambelts ? 4 years 3 weeks ago #192804

I have a Ryobi one+ impact driver which is quite low on power. I don't remember the figures (5 double spiced rum and coke and counting), but it has done both the crank bolt and the exhaust cam bolt for the VVC.

Ryobi one+ because I also have 2 other drills, an angle grinder and can't remember what else.

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

Cambelts ? 4 years 3 weeks ago #192808

• jelly
  • Time served MGer
  • Time served MGer
Thanks guys ordered one now delivery maybe next week but the way things are now gets here when it does next order cambelt kit !

Cambelts ? 4 years 3 weeks ago #192809

Attachment not found

I've had this DeWalt dcf899 impact driver for quite a while now...it is the same has the Mac one has DeWalt made them for Mac...it is a fantastic tool and is used on a daily basis stripping hgv and psv engines..I also use a Milwaukee which is slightly better but the DeWalt has it by price....I've seen them for as little has £136 bare bones...I've expanded my DeWalt range has they share the same batteries....the battery fitted on my impact gun is a flexvolt ..means it can run on all DeWalt 18v tools and 54v tools..has you can now get 54volt chainsaws and the like..but the cheapest I got this battery was £125...but it has plenty of balls...it is a 9ah and you can tell the difference has the run time on my tools is amazing..
A good thing to note is that this DeWalt has 3 torque settings so yes it can be used on smaller stuff as well without flipping the mg on its back.....I didn't have this impact driver when I did my cambelt ..but I had access to some great tools..my 3/4 drive long breaker bar made light work of that nut .using the proper locking tool was a doddle and made the cambelt change easy.
Attachments:

Last edit: Post by mgtfbluestreak.

Cambelts ? 4 years 3 weeks ago #192812

• jelly
  • Time served MGer
  • Time served MGer
Think a cam locking tool might be worth it, and will get crank locking tool if rattle gun doesn't shift it.

Cambelts ? 4 years 3 weeks ago #192814

Ryobi one is good but if you need more runtime I think you can get adapters to run DeWalt batteries on them recommend at least 5ah on most kit when giving it some umph

Cambelts ? 4 years 2 weeks ago #192818

Ryobi are now offering 5ah batteries. https://uk.ryobitools.eu/accessories/batteries-and-chargers/one-1/#!/1/

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

Time to create page: 0.138 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT