Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Head Gasket or something else? 4 years 2 months ago #192442

Had my first overheat issue today :(
Was heading up a steep hill in Queenland australia (was about 30c).
Carefully monitoring my OBD gauge as well as temp gauge and saw engine climb to 110C. The gauge got to about 3/4 but was flicking up and down to its usual spot just below half. The OBD temp was flicking between 110 and 103C. When i go to the top it started to boil over.

Got a tow home and bled the cooling system and things seem settled again. Issue seems fine on freeway just comes up in traffic or big hills.

Things I have been observing
- I had noticed this flicking of temp previously. I re-bled the cooling system a week ago thinking I might have air. There was a little that came out but not much.
- The oil filler puffs smoke when you rev the engine. like its the oil breather isnt working? - i have had some weeping of oil out of the filler over the last month.
- There is no indication of water in oil or oil in water.

This car has had 2 head gaskets done before me - really dont want it to be this again.

If it continues I will take it back to my MG mechanic - fixing these MGs are expensive over here so would happy to hear anything I could check before hand.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by iambob.

Head Gasket or something else? 4 years 2 months ago #192447

First thing you might want to do is replace the coolant filler cap,these things are notorious for failing in fact get two and carry the other as a spare.
A cooling system pressure test might be a good idea, and a compression test to give you piece of mind.
Do you have a low coolant alarm? if not why not, running these ( or any modern car) with out one is insanity, there are a few types available. I have the Brown & Gammons low coolant alarm, a brilliant piece of kit, easy to fit and reliable.
You might check the cooling fans are working properly, a dodgy relay is a possibility here as well as the wrong cooling sensor could be used.
The thermostat could be the cause of your woes.
I fitted my car with a pair of extra cooling bay fans at the top engine bay vent, these were from a quad bike, they push heaps of seriously hot air outta the boot vent and work off the existing engine bay cooling fan wiring circuit. I did a write up of this on this forum some years ago, you might wanna check the old threads on here to find it.

it's a pity you're not down here in Melbourne, I'd be able to easily sort this issue out for you.
"Keep calm, relax, focus on the problem & PULL THE BLOODY TRIGGER"
The following user(s) said Thank You: sworkscooper

Head Gasket or something else? 4 years 2 months ago #192453

@Cobber . Yes , I agree with all of that and I also carry a spare header cap .
Ps , nice fan mod , love it .

Head Gasket or something else? 4 years 2 months ago #192460

Looks like its not a good story for it. Started it up today and definately smoke coming out of the oil filler.

Must be HGF blowing into the oil galleries :(

Head Gasket or something else? 4 years 2 months ago #192461

get a compression tester on it and see?

Crankcase normally runs in a low pressure condition due to connection to inlet manifold, so a blocked crankcase breather will give similar indication

Head Gasket or something else? 4 years 2 months ago #192475

I have tested removing sparkplugs and seems like cylinder 1 is the problem. I see less obvious smoke coming out without a spark plug in this cylinder.

It also seems to do it more at idle. if you rev the engine the smoke basically stops.

Also at idle I am seeing bubbles coming into the filler tank. but only at idle.

Could it be a liner?

Last edit: Post by iambob.

Head Gasket or something else? 3 years 11 months ago #193262

Took the water pump off and it turns out to be part of the thermo housing broken off and stuch in the impellor.

Hopefully when I get back together it will be much better!
The following user(s) said Thank You: talkingcars

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.130 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT