Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Tired of Tyres? 4 years 3 months ago #192358

Need to replace my rear Nan Kang tyres ( or Something) Have the Toyo Proxes T1R on the front....seem absolutely fine (Malaysian) I have been warned off putting them on the rear (Japanese good Malaysian bad....no reason given?)
I was thinking of the Proxes TR1 which is the Toyo replacement…..(Not the same, Asymmetrical not Unidirectional).
I would prefer Unidirectional as this was the OEM set up.
So two Questions
1) Any experience with the TR1s
2) Any recommendations for Unidirectional all round (Can't find a reasonable manufacturer that provides the two correct sizes)

Need recommendations ASAP.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Tired of Tyres? 4 years 3 months ago #192359

Which model?

The F seams to be fine on the Toyo T1r but the TF not so.

James

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

Tired of Tyres? 4 years 3 months ago #192360

Sorry, MGTF 2010 LE500.
As the T1R has stopped production Toyo have no stock.
Down to looking on tinternet....
I am told the issues with the TF are mixing the Japanese and Malaysian.
So if I have Malaysian on front I would ok putting them on rear.

I would really like to keep a unidirectional tyre if possible, not at the expense of towing it out of a ditch...;)

Tired of Tyres? 4 years 3 months ago #192361

T1R and TR1 are completely different tyres.
Mixing them on a TF is an unknown quantity.

TF is fussy when mixing tyres, but whatever you choose, unless you replace all four, you will have to mix them front to back.

Unless anyone else has done it, you will be the ground breaker!

Tired of Tyres? 4 years 3 months ago #192362

The MGOC forum has had a good report on the new TR1 tyres on 16" wheels , but the consensus is that the Falken Zeix ZE 310 is a better tyre, certainly more popular with club members, and recommended by VHS who should know, as they were the original Rover/MG Rover engineers, (Andy Kitson and Alan Phillips), who were responsible for setting up the MGF and TF, (and other Rover and MG cars), and were also responsible for completing all tyre testing.,,,,good enough for me , when my T1R's finally give out, that's what I will be doing.

Tired of Tyres? 4 years 3 months ago #192363

I have seen Falken offer an AS210 All weather tyre (M&S)for the MGTF. This appears to be unidirectional. I looks a reasonable tread pattern.
My car is a daily runner, and with the UK not being a Summer/ Winter Tyre Market, I only know M&S being used on Land Rovers etc.
Anybody have experience with these particular Tyres.
I met a Goodyear Executive about a year or so ago and discussed why the original Eagle F1s weren't available.. He just smiled....

I have also heard good reports about the TR1s. They are asymmetrical and I worry about the pattern of grooves pushing water in front of the tyre on one side of the vehicle and to the rear on the other side. I know the radial groove is supposed to get rid of the water but....

Tired of Tyres? 4 years 3 months ago #192365

Yes ground braking is what concerns me...….as well as wall, ditch and fence braking....:)

Tired of Tyres? 4 years 3 months ago #192367

I have had a couple of Toyo TR1's on the rear for the last few months and they seem fine. Currently still got Falkens on the front, but I have two Toyo's on order for the front and these will be fitted on Tuesday along with a new wheel - courtesy of the local council potholes!

I find the TR1's a much better handling and driving tyre than the predecessor T1-R which I tried on my 16" wheels and removed after about a month, I had no confidence in them at all.
I am thinking Toyo were aware of the sidewall issues on the new Malaysian T1-R's and have superseded them with the new TR1 pattern.
Only downside is the tread pattern which does look a bit awkward as the asymmetrical tread does not mirror image itself between left and right hand wheels.

Sundance

Tired of Tyres? 4 years 3 months ago #192374

Agreed. I am told the issue with the TR1s was mixing the country of Origins...Malaysians go OK with Malaysians but not Japanese (Front to Rear).
I'm determined to find a good set of Unidirectional tyres....I seem to be going round in circles. Bit like if I get it wrong...;)
Falken AS210 all weather looks the part, but can't find anybody that stocks them.
Their website is...useless.. unless you are German I suspect.

Re:Tired of Tyres? 4 years 2 months ago #192405

I run hankook ventus evo2 on 16 inch wheels., and they do really well.
They make them both 195/50/15 and 205/50/15 as well..
The only thing is that the 195/50/15 has no XL spec. But thats only a kind of must for the rear wheels as far as i know.
It might be an option for you...

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G950F met Tapatalk

Re:Tired of Tyres? 4 years 2 months ago #192438

Thanks, never considered Hangkook. They are unidirectional, and looking at the spec seem ok in the dry and good in the wet....Just need to find out if they import into the UK.
Using their Tyre finder, the MG comes under Rover and they don't list the TF....only F up to 2005....;)
Assuming yours are on 15" rims, you have them on an F.

Has anybody tried these on a TF?

I followed up with the Falken importer for the AS210...don't import those sizes into the UK.

Re:Tired of Tyres? 4 years 2 months ago #192439

As stated i have an mgf 2001 on 16 inch alloys(abingdon).
Your tf is on 15 or 16 inch? (Are all tf on 16?)

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G950F met Tapatalk

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.142 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT