Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

TF Woes :-( 4 years 3 months ago #192284

Hello all, I'm after some advice.

I have a few long standing and a couple of new issues with the TF and I'm losing the faith in her after 15 years :nonod:

Firstly the long standing stuff - I've had a flashing yellow EML at low revs (particularly when cold) a lumpy idle and a whiff of petrol under load when moving along once warm. Code days misfire cylinder 1. I've had this for a good few years now. Doesn't effect drivability but isn't good and the misfire is noticeably so. Previously have done sparks, leads, coil pack, compression test etc by various garages without result (and great expense). When remapped I was told that it wasn't anything they could see diagnostically. I'll try to attach a video...

Now onto the new stuff. So the car let me down in the summer on a long drive, with the gradual loss of power coming to a halt. Assumed alternator (I have replaced this before). I got a new battery to get home, then once home recharged the old one and put it back in and it let me down again when I wanted to return. I've put the new one back in now, fingers crossed. The trickle charger was showing errors on the old battery so maybe it's dead.

Finally I've noticed the expansion tank was full after a first drive in over 6 months (became a dad!) So I've ordered and fitted a new cap (had them fail before). Warmed it up and warm air through the vents. No mayo in the tank. Assume that I need to get it bled on the three points now and wait and see?

I appreciate that's a few issues and I don't have lots of money to throw at it if it won't fix the issues as has happened in the past (see the recently become a dad) but I've had the car so long I'd love to keep it ticking along to show/pass on to the lad when he's a little older...

.... I've also got some tatty paint in places and the alloys are getting tired... Please help! I have a mate that's handy with the spanners but I'd like any thoughts that you may have

Thank you!

Misfire vid
MN

EML vid

Idle vid

Please Log in to join the conversation.

TF Woes :-( 4 years 3 months ago #192285

At fifteen years old, I would think that your TF is due a new set of coil packs and plug leads, new plugs too if they have not been replaced in the last five years. If you old battery has failed, then you are in a majority club, my battery is only 6 months old and will drain this time of year if I do not start it at least once a week and let the engine run for a while to keep the charge up in the battery.
If you have a more serious drain on the battery then I would first be looking at the wiring in the boot where it hinges. A simple multimeter test on the battery will tell you if your alternator is working ok. Test the battery with a DC voltmeter when the car is not running, you should have a reading of somewhere between 12 and 13 volts.
Start the engine and the voltage across the battery terminals should go up to somewhere between 13.5 and 14.2 volts. This tells you that the alternator is charging the battery at a higher voltage than the battery's nominal potential.
Regarding the coolant tank, get the engine cover off and have a real good look for leaks, if you can get the system pressure tested which will tell you if you have got a leak straight away. There are a lot of hoses on a TF and any one could be the culprit, but usual suspects are the plastic tee connector close to the coolant tank, the water pump, heater matrix and radiator. I bought a pressure testing kit fro Ebay for £27 and it will do most cars on the market, so will come in good use for many years to come.
Finally if you are really struggling, the mobile mechanics are probably the cheapest and best way to get your car back up and running, they carry a comprehensive stock of parts and are usually a lot cheaper than local garages, who may not be that familiar with the brand.

Good luck, oh if you are close to stoke on trent, you may pop over and use my pressure tester if you like.

Sundance

TF Woes :-( 4 years 3 months ago #192287

......Firstly the long standing stuff - I've had a flashing yellow EML at low revs (particularly when cold) a lumpy idle and a whiff of petrol under load when moving along once warm. Code days misfire cylinder 1. I've had this for a good few years now. Doesn't effect drivability but isn't good and the misfire is noticeably so......

I have a similar problem on my Alfa 159 3.2 V6. flashing EML when trying to accelerate from low revs, a misfire which gets worse if you floor the gas pedal, code reader says misfire on number 1.

The flashing EML is probably because the post cat lambda probe is reading over fuelling likely to cause damage to the cat.

I suspect my problem is a dodgy wire in the engine loom as I can temporally clear the problem for a few weeks by wiggling the loom. When my F is running reliably I will look at in depth.

I wouldn't be surprised if your problem is similar, maybe the wire from the ECU to the coil pack is damaged, maybe one of the plugs in the loom needs cleaning.

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.093 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT