Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Engine Management Light 4 years 4 months ago #192092

• Norm's Avatar Topic Author
  • Norm
  • Journeyman MGer
  • Journeyman MGer
Hi everyone; a bit of advice please. Having not used my TF160 for 3 weeks when i went to try it yesterday, the EML came on and wouldn't go off. When we lived in the states, our old Jeep's light stayed on for 10 months before we found there was a leak in an emissions pipe to a charcoal filter. It never did any harm nor used more fuel. Is it likely to be a Lamda sensor on the MG so that i can keep using it in the meantime? I have a 700 mile return journey i'd rather do in it than my modern mini next week, but i don't want to risk damaging anything nor do i want an outrageous fuel bill.

Norm

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Engine Management Light 4 years 4 months ago #192093

Really need to hook it up either to a T4 or a Pscan unit to get the fault code. Could be something simple, could be more without knowing.

My ZS has a recurring light that is one of the O2 sensors which keeps going out of range. Reset the system with my Pscan and it's gone again for a month or more, then comes back. It's worse when I don't drive it so maybe similar thing.

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk

Re:Engine Management Light 4 years 4 months ago #192094

• Norm
  • Journeyman MGer
  • Journeyman MGer
Thanks for your swift reply; i havn't got anything i can read the codes from at the moment, so as mot/service due in Jan. probably best if i leave it in my garage till then and ask the MG guy to sort at the same time.

Norm

Re:Engine Management Light 4 years 4 months ago #192095

If I was you I'd invest in a Pscan unit. Very low cost for such a useful device. It can diagnose issues, reset fault lights, reprogram fobs etc. Plus it's being updated regularly to do more stuff. It's saved me far more than its cost over the last few years.

Re:Engine Management Light 4 years 4 months ago #192099

And so say all of us .

Re:Re:Engine Management Light 4 years 4 months ago #192101

And so say all of us .

đź‘Ť

Re:Re:Engine Management Light 4 years 4 months ago #192106

The Pscan is a must have piece of kit for the MGF/TF owner
"Keep calm, relax, focus on the problem & PULL THE BLOODY TRIGGER"

Last edit: Post by Cobber.

Re:Re:Engine Management Light 4 years 4 months ago #192110

• Norm
  • Journeyman MGer
  • Journeyman MGer
Can you tell me where to get one and how much they are likely to be?

Thanks

Norm

Re:Re:Engine Management Light 4 years 4 months ago #192111

Go to www.pscan.uk. you will get how to buy install and support information. I bought one at the start of this year. Still only getting to find my way round it. As already stated it's a fabulous piece of kit for ÂŁ156. Regular updates feature on the this site.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Norm

Last edit: Post by talkingcars. Reason: To add the website address.

Re:Re:Engine Management Light 4 years 4 months ago #192114

We have the pscan forum as a sub forum here on the t-bar - https://www.the-t-bar.com/forum/pscan-uk-diagnostic-tool

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.
The following user(s) said Thank You: El gordo escoces, Norm

Re:Re:Engine Management Light 4 years 4 months ago #192115

Assuming you are referring to the Orange one on the left, the handbook says " If the car drives normally, arrange a service appointment. If light flashes and/or car does not drive normally, avoid high speeds and seek immediate assistance." Mine used to come on when i got the car, and i found that it happened more often if i had been idling the engine for any length of time whilst tinkering with things. when it did come on, it would stay on for the next two or three trips, and then reset. So from my experience if the car is driving normally i don't worry, and it goes out after a couple of days. i suspect it is a rich mixture thing.

Re:Re:Engine Management Light 4 years 4 months ago #192120

This has happened to me a couple of times and I sent the car into a garage for investigation, however, the light was switched off with no work required!!
I bought a cheap OBD2 reader from flea bay which allows me to reset this error if and when it comes on.
The error it reads is “fuel trim” error.
After resetting, this has not come again, so the tenner I spent on the reader has been well worth it.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.143 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT