Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Brake issue 4 years 5 months ago #191840

Hello! New user here etc.

I've been chasing a break fuse issue on my mgf, as it constantly blew as soon as the ignition was switched on. I've located what the problem is, and it's a massive one.

Mgf http://imgur.com/gallery/P76XEBc

Sorry for the poor video, not easy down there! 😂

How screwed am I? Is this something I can fix myself or is it a garage job? Also, how on earth would this happen?

All advice greatly appreciated, cheers!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by cihuacotl. Reason: Fixed link

Brake issue 4 years 5 months ago #191844

Firstly, :welcome: :welcome: :welcome:

That looks like it may be a problem to trace. I'm guessing you're gong to have to remove the cable wrap to see how far back the burnt wire goes. That may be the point of the short and all that cable will need to be replaced of course. Could it be the brake light switch that is shorting perhaps?

Also, it may be worth checking the boot where the wires pass from the engine bay.

Sorry, can't offer any more than that I'm afraid.
Robin ;)

Brake issue 4 years 5 months ago #191847

Ouch , that looks like it could end up being a dash out job . I don't think that's its a job for the faint hearted or the inexperienced.

Brake issue 4 years 5 months ago #191850

Hi and welcome to the forum

As per above, you will have to trace the wiring back to see how far it is damaged.

I do wonder if there is damage to the wiring around the boot hinge is damaged causing the original issue.

James

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

Brake issue 4 years 5 months ago #191944

This looks familiar. I had something like it a couple of years back. The loom in the boot on the left hand side next to the LH tail lights runs unprotected past a seam weld which impinges at 90 degrees against the rear light cluster loom. It was right in the rear left hand corner of the car.
I had over several years noticed the radio going crackly when engaging reverse - as the reversing light wires were the first damaged. Then the brake lights started blowing their fuse (shared with the reversing lights).
Once I traced the cause I cut the damaged wires out of circuit but left them in the loom Then rewired using a single switched 12v from the pedal switch through the cabin back to the rear light cluster and the switched 12v from reversing light switch on the gearbox back to the LH rear light cluster. The RH rear lights and high level brake light were unaffected. PM me if you need more details.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.103 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT