Sign In   Register

Topic

TF cam belt change questions 3 years 11 months ago #193018

My 04 TF does this sometimes (exactly the same noise), usually after it has been standing for a while. The last time was after I changed the oil! Anyway, it goes away with driving and doesn't come back until it has been standing for a long time. It sounds like a tappet to me but why it comes and goes is a mystery to me. It has done 110,000miles, TBF.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

TF cam belt change questions 3 years 11 months ago #193020

• Cobber
  • Away
  • '97 MGF 1.8 MPI
You really need to evict the angry little man with the hammer from the top end of your engine! :omg:
Yeah I agree with our learned friends here, give it an oil flush and change with good quality oil, change the grotty old filter too!
"Keep calm, relax, focus on the problem & PULL THE BLOODY TRIGGER"

Last edit: Post by Cobber.

TF cam belt change questions 3 years 11 months ago #193021

I'd say the oil is a problem. 3 year old of unknown initial quality is certainly causing an issue. An oil change will will help, hopefully it will flush some of the junked-up old oil from the oil hole in the hydraulic tappets.

I used an engine flush successfully on a 1990 VW Jetta Turbo Diesel many years ago. I tried one on my wife's F with the noisy tappet(s) but it didn't help.
Mark
95 MGF

TF cam belt change questions 3 years 11 months ago #193062

Tried adding some oil yesterday via the cam cover filler and hey presto the noise has now gone. Now just waiting for the tappet treatment to arrive and will change the oil.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mowog73

Time to create page: 0.102 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT