Sign In   Register

Topic

TF cam belt change questions 4 years 5 months ago #191785

Hi
I'm new to this forum, having bought my 2004 135 TF in August. It came with a service history, however studying the paperwork I don't think the cam belt has been changed since 2008. It's done 53k miles so probably very overdue for a change. I've decided to do the job myself and having studied the various threads on the subject i cant find answers to the following
1. What is the best quality belt kit available, Gates?
2. I can't see that any of the belt kits come with a patchlok bolt for the tensioner. Can the old one be re-use with some threadlock?
3. I don't want to completely drain the cooling system this time, approx how much needs to be drained in order to change the water pump?

Grateful for any help

Please Log in to join the conversation.

TF cam belt change questions 4 years 5 months ago #191792

Hi and welcome to the forum

I can't answer your questions but personally I would do a coolant flush while you have the car apart and fill with freash OAT.

James

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

TF cam belt change questions 4 years 5 months ago #191795

Invalid or non-existent item ID.My 2004 MG TF 135 went in for a cambelt (and alternator belt) change last year. My MG Rover mechanic recommended I use an OEM/Xparts parts. These are what I bought:

MGTF / MGF CAMBELT / TIMING BELT KIT AUTO TENSIONER INC WATER PUMP GENUINE MG
Buy It Now

As far as I remember, he needed no parts other than those supplied apart from coolant, which looked to be no more than a couple of litres. Bleeding at all 3 points obviously but only the one in the engine compartment seemed to actually need it.

I hope this helps a bit.

TF cam belt change questions 4 years 5 months ago #191796

I would go with Bruce's mechanic's suggestion and buy an XPart kit, which is what I have been installing on mine and my wife's Fs for the past 9 years: go quality parts at a good price compared to buying the parts individually.
Mark
95 MGF

TF cam belt change questions 4 years 5 months ago #191806

I changed my cambelt some years ago on my tf...used gates belts has they are well recommended.tensioner was also replaced..and I used threadlock on my original bolt no problem...plus the alternator belt was replaced at the same time...seized adjuster for the alternator dead cert...has it was only a small m6 pin if I remember right and I drilled it out to accept m8....kits are available to change the design...but it didn't take long to put right so I never spent any more cash...didn't no what all the faffing about by mechanics I spoke to saying it was a pain...the hardest part is taking the engine cover off....auto tensioners are the best arnt they.handy little mirror on telescopic rod makes it easy..I didn't remove the engine mounting I just uunbolted the top 2 pins and jacked the engine slightly to feed the belt through..relaxing feeling knowing that belt is in good condition...oh and that sticker that comes with the belts I filled in the date and mileage and stuck it in the handbook...makes sense so no one has to guess what's going on with the cars history

Last edit: Post by mgtfbluestreak.

TF cam belt change questions 4 years 5 months ago #191821

Thanks for all your replies.
I was quoted £340 by my local garage which seemed a bit steep. I've just ordered a kit and will make a start on the job next weekend. And yes, whilst I've got the car apart I'll do a proper job on the cooling system!

TF cam belt change questions 4 years 5 months ago #191834

Did you buy the camshaft locking tool, 18G1570, as well?
Mark
95 MGF

TF cam belt change questions 4 years 5 months ago #191839

Yes I have one of those. However the price of the flywheel locking tool put me off getting one so for the crankshaft pulley bolt i thought i would try putting it in gear with someone stamping on the brakes, if that fails will try a flat bladed screwdriver in the ring gear.

TF cam belt change questions 4 years 5 months ago #191841

I have never had luck with someone standing on the brake pedal. I ended up breaking down and buying the locking tool.
Mark
95 MGF

TF cam belt change questions 4 years 5 months ago #191842

Yes I have one of those. However the price of the flywheel locking tool put me off getting one so for the crankshaft pulley bolt i thought i would try putting it in gear with someone stamping on the brakes, if that fails will try a flat bladed screwdriver in the ring gear.

It's probably not the recommended technique but a beefy flat-bladed screwdriver in the starter ring is the way my mechanic did it on my car. Up on the 4-poster with the screwdriver in one hand and a breaker bar to undo the pulley bolt in the other. Done in seconds.

TF cam belt change questions 4 years 5 months ago #191851

I have never had luck with someone standing on the brake pedal. I ended up breaking down and buying the locking tool.

What happened, did the car just move?

TF cam belt change questions 4 years 5 months ago #191892

What happened, did the car just move?

The bigger issue is when torqueing up the pulley bolt after the job is done, if not torqued properly the bolt can back off, you don't want that to happen!

Time to create page: 1.906 seconds